still wondering

ronpittc

I work in wind turbines and to explain how the turbine works...
The wind turbines as we all know they need enough wind to start, in this case the turbines are automatic, they have instruments (which are connected to the PLC) that senses the wind speed and the direction of it. And after sometime if it senses enough windspeed to run it will go ONLINE (which appears in the monitor of the control panel)and the propellers will start spinning.

Stages of Wind turbines before they start which appears in the monitor of the monitor for the PLC.

1. Run Mode - means it starting up
2. Tracking Mode - sensing and testing itself if there is enough windspeed to start
3. Blade Roll mOde - slowly testing the propelers and break releasing
4. ONLINE - Doing its job.... full spin it produces power (brakes full release).

OFFLINE (which is the status of the turbine,which means it is not doing its job to spin because there is not enough wind to spin to generate power.

and here is our problem.

After a good windy day, after the turbines worked. I myself check the status of the wind turbines( if there is anything wrong both for the system and electrical. And from the outside I can tell that there is not enough wind to start, so im expecting to see in the PLC monitor status (it should indicate that it is in OFFLINE mode). But the thing is , it indicates or shows that the turbine is in ONLINE, RUN MODE, Blade ROLL MODE wherein the wind turbine is not moving or spinning at all and the brakes for the propellers are not retracted too.

So what we do to solve this problem, we try to turn off the power of the PLC and the control panel (which is the one controlling the automation of the turbine) and wait for 15 sec. and turn back the power ON. In this manner the PLC starts to initialized the condition of the wind turbine and shows the right status of the windmill and begins to do tracking mode and the incorrect reading is gone. (and also the break release is activated- which indicates the windmill is running well.)

This happens everyday , so i have to reset the power everyday just to make it run.

Our problem is we dont know what causes this error and it appears everday. is there a solution to it?

Hi again, Im back with the same question... people here in PLCS told me its the power supply issue, i'm kinda uncertain about the answer because, the PLC has a separated power supply and it does not rely on the Wind Turbine. "we use AC and DC electricity separately to power our control panel, PLC and other peripherals, with that all those peripherals functioning it allows the turbine to operate and to create power going to the substation.