Experience with Rockwell Historian

ThaDutch

Hey

Anyone willing to share their experience with Rockwell Historian ME/SE with me? Is it easy to setup and connect to tags stored in AB PLC?

Is it easy to see old measurements and compare this to new ones?

Is it necessary to log data in Excel or can the program handle this?
I need this to run on an on-site computer connected to the HMI and the AB PLC.

Thx in advance

ME or SE?
Both are designed/intended to collect data, however, similarities kinda stop here.
Historian ME (Machine Level Edition) is running on a dedicated module, the 1756-HISTxG (x = 1 or 2GB of storage capacity) and obviously can be deployed exclusively on a ControlLogix platform; the module is usually installed within the Local Chassis and provides backplane high-speed data collection from the resident CLX(s); it provides a Web interface for setup and data monitoring, however, user "data processing" could be accomplished only via client MS Excel Add-In (FactoryTalk Historian Data Link- which will "populate" spreadsheets with user defined "extracted data slices") or by "uploading/transferring" the logged data within a Historian SE system.
The Historian SE system is a full-blown database collection system running on top of the FactoryTalk Services platform and it is usually installed on a server class PC on a network location; it could collect data from any Logix class CPU using the RSLinx Enterprise data server, or from any legacy AB CPUs using a licensed copy of RSLinx Classic for data server; it could also collect any "third" party CPU data via suitable OPC data server ("connectors" are separately available for most of the available CPU manufacturers platform communications).
User "data-processing" could be accomplished via the above mentioned Excel Add-In client or via the FactoryTalk VantagePoint "data visualization" system, the dedicated Historian SE "front-end"; I believe one "named" license of the FT VantagePoint Server is included with the FTH SE install package.
If you have never installed a "distributed historian" system, I'd get help (especially for FT VantagePoint initial "modelling"); once the system is functional though, after a few basic concepts have been comprehended, the data collection system is very flexible, stable and reliable while the VantagePoint front-end could be configured for a very efficient "user data processing", including "Live Excel Spreadsheets", Trends, Plots or Dashboards.

Thx a bunch! This is what i am looking for :)

This Excel Add-in, how does this work? Does FT Historian make Excel spreadsheets it self or do the operator have to set this up?

I'm sorry, I just want to figure out about historian, my team got a problem when they wanted to record data from the process then displaying the process datas every hour, day or even week, is it need a buffer?
thank you in advance

Thx a bunch! This is what i am looking for :)

This Excel Add-in, how does this work? Does FT Historian make Excel spreadsheets it self or do the operator have to set this up?

The FTHistorian DataLinx Excel Add-In will "attach" itself to MS Excel and allow the user to "browse" the Historian database, pick-up any collected data points and then, depending of the chosen "time slice" will populate a spreadsheet with the respective values, time stamps and various other attributes.
This is a "manual" operation; the user will have to configure the spreadsheet "parameters" every time it attempts to access the database.
On the other hand, FactoryTalk VantagePoint allows users to create "live" Excel documents; once an "Excel Report" is configured within the VantagePoint Server database, it will continuously update itself depending of the setup parameters, without the need of user "intervention".

I'm sorry, I just want to figure out about historian, my team got a problem when they wanted to record data from the process then displaying the process datas every hour, day or even week, is it need a buffer?
thank you in advance

The "buffer" you are talking about is the FactoryTalk VantagePoint Server, the "front-end" of the Historian SE system.
Within the VantagePoint system you could configure various format reports which then could be displayed on any client Workstations.
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/performance/vantagepoint/overview.page