RSView32 Communication Error?

bennrichey

I am trying to learn how to set up communications between a SLC 5/05 processor and RSView32 Works development program. My System Channel and Node appear to be working (Channel is DH-485 with DF1 communication driver and the node found the station and PLC). I created a couple buttons and created tags that match locations in the PLC (specifically B3:0/0 and B3:0/1). But when I toggle the button in the RSView32, the state doesn't change in the PLC and I get the error "Write to tag (tagname) has failed: The value of tag (tagname) is in error." I have no idea why it's in error or what to do to change it. Any thoughts? I did notice that if I go to the PLC Database Browser and browse the PLC Database from my RSLogix 500 program, B3:0/0 doesn't show up...not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Now for a silly question: Did you write a program for the SLC5/05 that has a rung where B3:0/0 is an input that turns ON something? If not, of course RSLogix does not know anything about B3:0/0 and will DO NOTHING.

Once you use address B3:0/0 in your SLC program, the PLC will look at the value of that bit (from the RSView tag) and act accordingly. Use it or lose it!

Another possibility: Your RSView tags are not set up correctly in the Tag Database. For a B3:0 address, your tag should be a type = "Digital". The Data Source Type should be "Device", and the Tag Data Source Node Name should match the name in your "System, Node" settngs.

Last edited:
Hi Lancie1,

Yes, I have B3:0/0 NO (start button in RSView) in series with a NC B3:0/1 (stop button in RSView) which turns on B3:0/2. I'm in run mode in the PLC and press the play button in RSView, press the start button and get the error "write to tag START has failed: The value of tag START is in error". Same thing for the stop button...

..press the start button and get the error "write to tag START has failed:...
Things that might cause that:

(1)Your RSView computer is not actually communicating with the PLC.
(2) The START button is tied to an analog tag, or a tag with a different node than the active node.
(3)You have multiple copies of the Start button stacked on top of each other. One goes on, but the others are still OFF, so RSView is confused. Go to edit, click on the start button, and move it to see if there is anything underneath. Check the button carefully to see if multiple expressions have been assigned to the same button. Multiple tags was always a problem in RSView, with no go way to make sure there was only one copy. This is specially true with animation for tags.