Rs 232 cable for panelview plus

josesaucedo

I need to communicate with a panelview plus terminal to upgrade the firmware. My question is, can I use a regular RS232 serial cable to communicate with it?, or is there an specific pin configuration? I do have an USB (DF1) to RS485(DH485 and to RS232 (DH485).

Thank to all of you in advance.

Jose.

PanelView Plus serial ports connect to PCs and A-B controller ports with straight through RS-232 cables.

If you have a 1747-CP3 or similar null modem cable, add a null modem adapter to make the pinout 'straight' again.

The 1747-UIC might work if the PV+ already has the serial port driver configured for DH485 protocol, instead of the default DF1 protocol.

I very strongly recommend using a memory card for firmware updates.

Jose, Other way is to use a compact flash memory, run upgrade software on your pc, copy files to your CF card, then install CF card on your PV plus let it run to do the upgrade.

Widelto, for some reason I don't see the upgrade window on the screen in the panel view window, I only see (load application, run application, application settings, and terminal settings 0. I do insert the CF card but nothing happens.

Thank you all for your help.

If the CF media would contain the proper FUP, the upgrade will start automatically; probably this is not the case.
What is the current terminal firmware and what is the intended upgrade level?
Navigate to http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductDownload.aspx?keyword=PanelView%20Plus&crumb=112
and download the intended HMI firmware making sure you are choosing the proper terminal type!
Detailed Firmware Upgrade Wizard deployment instructions and a Video Tutorial at:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/508049