T.libby Plant Engineer

troylibby

Hello everyone i have a question about Allen Bradley Data types.I have a ladder that moves an interger data type N7:6
to a destination M0:1.12. I am not fimilar with the M data type can someone help me with this?

M files are not actually in the SLC, they are in a "smart card".
M0 files can be thought of as output files that can have their data written by the SLC.
M1 files can be described as input files that can have their data read by the SLC.

Accessing these files or any bits and pieces of them efficiently, requires that you use COP or MOV instructions to move the values between the M files in the smart cards and the SLC data tables where they can be more easily referenced.

It is possible to reference individual M bits and words, but each time the SLC encounters an M reference, it must query the smart card for the data and wait for it. It can kill scan time. This is why you will almost always see them copied en masse.

This is the nutshell version in my own words, hopefully, I said it right.
Paul

Last edited:
hello
i am a new user. i want to learn plc ladder programming. kindly help me..from basic....i will be thankful to you for this kindness....

regards
danish ahmed
[email protected]

Danish,
It would have been best to start a new thread for this subject.
In the mean time scroll to the top of this page and click on "Learn PLCS"

It would also help if you tell us what brand of PLC you are using.

Hello again could this M type data file be used to set up a high speed counter card. I found no smart card (memory card) in the control system. however i do have HSC cards in slot "0"

it would be easier to give detailed answers to your questions if you can post your entire RSS program file (you'll have to zip it first - forum rule) ...

in basic terms, if the address is M0:0.___ or M1:0.___ then the module/card in slot number ZERO is the module/card that's being addressed ...

in other words, the number AFTER the : gives the slot number ...

again, this is a general answer – for a detailed answer please post your program file ...

Last edited:
The term "smart card" doesn't refer to a specific brand or model name; it's a general term for any SLC-family module that is not an ordinary analog or discrete I/O module.

Communication modules (1747-SN, 1747-SDN, 1747-KE), programmable coprocessors (1747-BAS), and high-speed counters (1746-HSCE, 1746-HSCE2) are all modules that use more than the standard I/O image and therefore use M0 and M1 data files to transfer data to and from the SLC-5/0x controller.