PLC 5/80e stopping

roussey

Hi,

I am not used to work woth PLC5 so I'll give a brief explanation of my problem:

I have a PLC 5 80e that work as a I/O scanner (port 1B) and is also connected to ethernet. The problem is that the led indication of the port 1b turns red quickly and I lose the remote I/O (slc racks with adapters).

The PLC itself does not goes to faulted mode and I can't see the remote I/O faulting.

Does anyone knows what can cause that?

André Roussey.

You most likely have Universal RIO media issues or a deffective blue-hose connected device.
Verify the network's terminal resistors for proper connectivity and value.
Make sure any "daisy chain hops" are at least 10 foot in length and the total network length does not exceed the specifications.
Has anything been recently added/modified?
Have you tried to do an "Auto-Configure"?
Refer to Chapter 6 of :
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1785-um012_-en-p.pdf

Bad cabling.
Electrical noise.
Bad grounding.
Missing equipotential bonding between the PLC panel and the Remote rack panel.
Loss of power to the remote rack with the ASB module.
Defective ASB module in the remote rack.

I made some tests. Removing the network connection of an adapter, does not fault. Removing power of a remote rack, does not fault.

I will check the terminal resistance today. What is the normal value? 82 ohms?

Do you think that a short circuit on any input or output can cause this problem? If so it is very difficult to find the problem

Since you ruled out the easy stuff, it might be time to ensure the PLC5 project has diagnostic files set up for channel 1B, then use the Channel Diagnostics viewer to see if you can tell which devices are generating errors.

Loss of power to the remote rack with the ASB module.

Removing power of a remote rack, does not fault.
Hold on a minute. Removing power (off switch or loss of power or it blinked for a second) may not cause your main PLC to fault, but it can cause it to lose communications with the remote rack and that "led indication of the port 1b to turn red quickly".

You need to make sure that the remote rack power is always ON before you switch the main PLC to RUN.

Hold on a minute. Removing power (off switch or loss of power or it blinked for a second) may not cause your main PLC to fault, but it can cause it to lose communications with the remote rack and that "led indication of the port 1b to turn red quickly".

You need to make sure that the remote rack power is always ON before you switch the main PLC to RUN.

The PLC 5 and all the remote I/O racks are powered by an UPS.

Since you ruled out the easy stuff, it might be time to ensure the PLC5 project has diagnostic files set up for channel 1B, then use the Channel Diagnostics viewer to see if you can tell which devices are generating errors.

Where do I see this diagnostic file? On the controller status? I'm sorry but I repeat, i've never worked on PLC5.