ControlLogix to PLC MSG

Oceansoul

Hi,
I am trying to set up 2 msg instructions to read data from a PLC 5/30 into a controllogix L55.

The PLC 5 is on a data highway+ with two other PLC 5's and a PLC 5/250 (Pyrimiad Intergrator). The PLC 5 i want data from is connected to a KA module CH2 in slot 2 of the PI. The PI is used as an ethernet bridge to our PCN and has an IP address of 172.18.40.110. The PI ethernet card is in slot 7.

The controllogix sits on this PCN, with a ENBT card in Rack 0 Slot 2.

Im unsure of which type of MSG to use in the controllogix, and havent really used controllogix MSG before. I've set up all my tags in controllogix ready to recieve the data.

Last edited:
PLC5 Typed Write/Read type MSG if you could actually "hop" the communications from EtherNet/IP to DH+; could you tell us more about the "KA module"; do you have any documentation for it?: I believe it is some type of Ethernet-to-Data Highway Plus gateway, however, we don't know if it supports explicit messaging.

I don't think this is possible.

As far as I know, the Pyramid Integrator used only the original A-B proprietary Ethernet protocol, called "CSPv4".

The ControlLogix uses only the modern CIP protocol on Ethernet, called "EtherNet/IP".

PLC-5E controllers were upgraded to support both, in the late 1990's. But I don't think the Pyramid Integrator was.

You could add a 1756-DHRIO module to the system and place it on the DH+ network, and send your messages to it over the backplane or over Ethernet from the ControlLogix. That's principal way I can think of to accomplish this communication link.

Right i see. :/

Unfortunately we cant upgrade the PI's at the moment as they are an intergral part of our (stupid) SCADA system that cant address PLC5's over DH+ without going through the PI. We are working to get a controllogix gateway to replace them, but its proving diffucut.

The Pyramiad Intergrators are set up as such.
5130-RM1 (Resource Manager. Connects DH1 and 2)
5130-KA (DH+ card. Connects DH3 and DH4)
5130-KA (DH+ card. Connects DH5 and DH6)
5820-EI (Ethernet card, old style AUI type)

The PI acts as a bridge so a PLC5 on DH1 can message a PLC5 on DH5 for example.
The 5820-EI connects the lot to our PCN for SCADA.
This is the "old works"

All new works upgrades are on controllogix on Ethernet connected to the PCN SCADA LAN. This is an existing installation, but i have been asked to get some data from a PLC on the DH+ to a RSView HMI (not the aforementioned SCADA system) on the PCN.

I was planning on reading the PLC5 tags into the controllogix then the HMI (which is for that controllogix) can read the tags from there.

Maybe the RSView HMI could read the tags directly from the PLC5 via PI??

It's much more likely that RSView (I presume RSView32) or RSLinx Classic can get to this data with old style DH+ internetworking.

The Pyramid Integrator is one of the few platforms I have almost no experience with, so I'm not going to be much help there.