Opening of Data log Excel file during RS view project running.

AB2005

Hi;

During an RS view 32 project running, I want to open the Data log Excel file by clicking a button. Please guide how to achieve this goal. AppStart doesn’t work for that.

AppStart should work, but you may need to add the parameters to open the right file when you use it. Also, ti has been many years ago, but there were other steps that may be necessary to bring the app to the foreground after it has started.

During an RS view 32 project running, I want to open the Data log Excel file by clicking a button. Please guide how to achieve this goal. AppStart doesn’t work for that.
Is this Data Log Excel file one that is already being used by RSView32 to collect data? If so, then the file will already BE open, so Excel will refuse to OPEN it again, even if you command it to do so with AppStart. If you need to see the data while running, you will have to use the already-open data, or set up another Excel file where the data is copied, then the file closed so you can open it again with AppStart.

If the Excel file is already OPEN, then you should be able to copy, view, or print the data without opening the file again. If the Data log file is Opened then Closed by RSView32, then you need to have your button check to see that the file is Closed, before it tries to OPEN it again.

Last edited:
Did you check all the Visual Basic macro routines to see if one opened an Excel file? Anyway, using Visual Basic routines that set up a CSV-type file name and write to it, is a common way to set up a log file in RSView32. Appstart is not needed if you use this method. Then you can use a timed RSView Event to periodically open and add to the CSV log file. Excel then can be used to externally open the file and view or print it.

Dears;

Can I open the folder "DLGLOG" during RS View32 project running? If yes then please explain the way.

Yes, see page 16-4 in your RSView32 Users Manual, as shown in this picture of part of that page. Notice that you must open it in Excel as a Read Only file, because RSView is still using it!

Viewing RSView DLGLOG files in Excel JPG.jpg

I have created a global key to open MS Excel during project running. But after opening, Excel remains MINIMIZE. Please guide that when i press the key, Excel should open with Maximize.

Create a Shortcut to open Excel, then open Excel by opening the new Shortcut. Edit the properties of your Excel Shortcut to open with the window Maximized, as shown in this picture:

Excel Maximized.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lancie1

I have tried as you mentiond but found same results (see attached two images). When i press global configured key, Excel opens but does't appear on screen and when i stop the project, I found the Excel as minimized.
If I create a short cut on desktop for Excel and click on its icon, Excel opens normally but with same short cut with link coppied in Rs View, Excel does't appear on screen and remains minimized.

untitled.jpg untitled1.jpg

You probably will have to do 2 steps: Minimize RSView, then Open and Maximize Excel. Otherwise RSView will remain the "focus" and override the Excel program.
When I press global configured key, Excel opens but does't appear on screen and when Istop the project, I found the Excel as minimized.
When you say "global donfigured key", is that your term for a new special "Short-cut" that you just created, and that is set up to Open Excel, but with it Maximized in the Window? If it is only your regular ordinary shortcut icon for Excel, then it will not Maximize the Excel screen.

Last edited:
If it is only your regular ordinary shortcut icon for Excel, then it will not Maximize the Excel screen.

Then what to do? My requirement is to open the Excel during normal Rs view project running. I can not enable Alt+Tab or Windows key as operators then play with system.

I do not know if this will work for you but it could be worth a try

Create a new Graphics screen, then go to Objects, and select ActiveX Control, then drag a box on the Graphics screen, and select an option probably Microsoft Office Spreadsheet.

From here you maybe able to then select the file you wish to view in Excel without providing access back to Windows Desktop

I can not enable Alt+Tab or Windows key as operators then play with system.
How come no one trusts the Other Guy anymore to do his job without playing? How come all adults act more like kids while doing the serious work of the workplace? How come this is even something that you have to worry about?

While you are protecting yourself from these players, be sure to bolt all the Emergency Exits so they cannot get out during a fire.