Windows 7 - 64 bit & Factorytalk

George Graziano

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to open an apa file on my new laptop. First I have to convert my database, but it doesn't "see" it on my 32 bit VM desktop. What now? Good thing we only have about 30 panelview plus in the plant.....šŸ™ƒ

Thanks
George

Use the Application Manager with FctMeStudio to Restore the .apa file to the new machine. You cannot move, rename or delete applications without going through the Application Manager...well you could I suppose, but it's a can 'o worms.

Thanks Okie for the reply. What I am having problems with is going from 32 bit to 64 bit. I created a VM and can start Fact Studio in that, but can't open because it is past the 7 day trial. Activation is on the Win 7 machine ( VM is on this machine as well). 64 bit part, says I have to use utility because of the database, VM portion (File on VM desktop) doesn't see the apa file. Can I do something so that the activation can be seen by both the VM install & the 64 bit install?
Thanks
George

If your pv+'s are pre-6 hardware, and you don't plan on upgrading them, then I strongly recommend you rehost your license for Studio onto your 32bit VM. Just stay away from FactoryTalk and 64bit. It's a can of worms you just don't want to open. Unless you never plan on modifying the programs on your version 5 firmware terminals, then don't develop in the 64bit OS. You won't be able to restore a mer or apa. So if you ever lose the development project, you're hosed. You can work around by keeping > 6.0 runtime versions to restore from and lower versions of the same files to run on your terminals, but that's a real PITA.
From what I gather, RA not only still has no fix for this issue, but they don't PLAN on fixing it either. I think they are trying to strong-arm everyone into upgrading all their units. But at $2k+ per unit for a logic module upgrade, it's too expensive a sell for the bean counters at most companies when the only real upside is 64bit OS compatibility.

I am not sure if you can use a node locked license with a VM unless its hosted to the virtual HD/NIC, or it might work if hosted to the NIC and shared networking is used...

I would recommend trying to switch the license to a concurrent one (R/A did this for me for "free" using their online chat, but we have tech connect).

This makes sharing it among computers, both real and fantasized (<-- my new word for virtualized) a piece of pie.

I agree with the recommendation of installing the 32 bit version of FctMeStudio in a 32 bit OS in the virtual machine.

When you call/chat, you want to ask to "change a node locked license for a concurrent license". You can always serve it to yourself, or when in a networked environment, use one PC as a license server, you can check them out for disconnection from the network...it's real handy, I am not sure if there is any benefit to node locked other than the added security that it only works on that machine and slightly simpler set up.

No need to have FTME on your VM just setup your VM shares to see your FTME directory on your 64bit machine and convert the project. You don't point it at your apa you need to go the the project directory and covert it directly so you need to restore your apa into the 64bit FTME first then go to your 32bit VM and run the conversion utility on what ever projects you need to convert. Then go back to the 64bit OS and run it again pointing at the same project directory.