Component IP Address

bubbleship

I'm using a Component C1000, with Micro 1400. When I go to config screen opn the PV to enter IP adress in the Static mode. The customer need to use the following adress 031.080.071.002 so I enter that address with mast 255.255.255.00. Whan I go back to the config screen to see the address....it show the IP address of 25.64.57.2.......... I don't understand whats going on. I re-enter it again and again it shows 25.64.57.2 So I put in are standard address 192.168.001.004 it will show that address in the config screen. I don't unerstand What I'm doing wrong!!!

It's a seldom-seen standard in IP addressing that a leading zero means you are entering a value in Base-8 (Octal).

Just omit the leading zeroes and the IP address should enter the way you want it.

This leads to a very bad joke:

Why did the PLC programmer dress as Santa Claus for Halloween ?

I get to tell that joke, what, every three or four years ? The one with the Roman and the American in the bar gets more play.

You're not even curious ?

One more detail: An IP address with a first octet value of 1 thorough 126 is a public Internet address.

If the automation network is never connected to the Internet in any way, it is not in theory a problem.

But in my experience, if your client is using actual public Internet addresses inside their automation network, that is a big red flag that the network probably has serious administrative problems.

That particular IP address belongs to a cell phone system somewhere in the UK.