Fanuc Robot - R-J3iC - Controller

juanmdx

Hello everyone,

I know the forum is for PLC and not robots, but I hope someone can help me.
I've been asked to modifiy an existing Fanuc Robot (M16iB 10L) that is working with an R-J3iC - Controller. They can provide me the backup of another robot that is currently doing what they want (same robot) but I will have to do some adjustments.

I'm familiar with other brands of robots (Motoman and ABB) and I've worked with Fanuc a couple of times, but only with the pendant and just jogging them around.

The thing is that I don't know which software should I buy (I don't have any Fanuc software right now), I don't know the name of the software or how to look for it, I know I should ask Fanuc support, but the person that answers isn't very friendly...

So, I'm looking for the software name, and if there is any special cable I should use to communicate with the robot with the PC, to do downloads and uploads, or if there is a slot in the robot controller and I can do everything with an SD card or something like this?.

I really hope someone can help me, I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks...

Thanks and best regards

Juan

You can use the software called Roboguide.
Which you need to purchase from fanuc.
But if you get a back up from a working robot then you can just copy the required files to the second robot using a PCMCIA card.
There are 2 types of back ups.
1 back up of all the files
2 image back up.
If you can email me the back up you have then I can help you.
following is a good site for robots related issues.
http://www.robot-forum.com/robotforum/

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I know the forum is for PLC and not robots, but I hope someone can help me.
I've been asked to modifiy an existing Fanuc Robot (M16iB 10L) that is working with an R-J3iC - Controller. They can provide me the backup of another robot that is currently doing what they want (same robot) but I will have to do some adjustments.

I'm familiar with other brands of robots (Motoman and ABB) and I've worked with Fanuc a couple of times, but only with the pendant and just jogging them around.

The thing is that I don't know which software should I buy (I don't have any Fanuc software right now), I don't know the name of the software or how to look for it, I know I should ask Fanuc support, but the person that answers isn't very friendly...

So, I'm looking for the software name, and if there is any special cable I should use to communicate with the robot with the PC, to do downloads and uploads, or if there is a slot in the robot controller and I can do everything with an SD card or something like this?.

I really hope someone can help me, I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks...

Thanks and best regards

Juan

Hi Juan,
You don't need any special software to program fanuc robots, as everything can be done on the tp.
Are you changing the cell design completely? or are you only changing how the robot functions?
all inputs and outputs are under the i/o button located on the bottom of the teach pendant.

let me know what exactly you are trying to do and maybe i can help a little more.

Thanks a lot for your responces, let me get the backup and look at it, and I'll get back to you.

Thank you!!

Agree with timeismoney.

If the 2nd robot is exactly the same as the 1st one then you can use the image back up to mimic the 2nd robot. If it is an image back up you will see 35 files all together. File names are FROM00-FROM31 and SRAM00-SRAM02

with the normal back up you will see whole heap of files in one folder. *.TP are teach pendant files and so on.

Let us know what you have.

Don't use the image backup and restore, you'll wipe out all of the servo calibration files on the 2nd robot. Just use the standard file copy, choose all, and you'll get the .tp, io, and variable, user & tool frame files, etc. files.

And I agree, don't buy the PC software for programming the robot, I haven't found it to be worth the money one iota. Especially if you're just duplicating a current installation.

Yes Image Restore wipes out calibration data. then you need to master the robot which is not difficult. Restore comes handy if you do not have all the required options are not installed in the second robot.

I agree with jstolaruk. The controller backup image is for a backup of everything for THAT robot. You could, in a pinch, restore a different robot with the exact same control hardware, but then it would need adjustment. This image is designed to make a specific robot "like new" when a CPU goes poof, not for "cloning" installations.