DH485, Windows 7 Pro (64b), RSLinx

johnd_125

OK, so the time came to get a new computer so I went from one with XP Pro, SP3 to one with Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.

So, now how to connect to PLC's with DH485?

The 1747-PIC was what I used the most but it was always hit or miss. The new computer doesn't have a serial port and USB to serial adapters don't work with this.

My 1784-PCMK/B card worked good but this new card has an Express Card slot, which is about half the size of the old PCMCIA slots. Of course the adapters they make for that, don't work according to the AB knowledgebase

That leads me to the 1747-UIC, which appears to be the future. AB compatibility charts don't show that it works with Win7,Pro,64b. Of course they don't say it won't work, either. šŸ™ƒ In digging around, I found a youtube video where it looked like this version of windows, RSLinx V2.57, and the 1747-UIC, WOULD work together. True, or not?

AB KB is pushing the XP Mode or an RSLinx V3.56 as solutions,neither of which is too attractive.

Thoughts, ideas????

Thanks, in advance.

Yes, I'd seen that thread but since it was 5 years old I was hoping there was a better solution by now or that the confidence level was higher.

Its hard to argue with something that works, though.

What particular brand of express card adapter did you get? Was it the Duel systems?

Thanks.

The UIC works in Windows 7 64 bit. You have to use the DF1 driver though. When you configure it you have to select the COM port and 1770-KF3/1747-KE for the device. And maybe CRC for error checking.

If you need to get a UIC, I'd get the after market one here. It's almost half the price and has the RJ-45 looking end built into it.

W7_64bit.jpg

Yes, I'd seen that thread but since it was 5 years old I was hoping there was a better solution by now or that the confidence level was higher.

Its hard to argue with something that works, though.

What particular brand of express card adapter did you get? Was it the Duel systems?

Thanks.

The one I used was purchased here. http://www.shopdigi.com/product.aspx?pf_id=PC-EXP

The only reason to go this way is if you have invested in the PCMK card and cable(s) and prefer not to spend the bucks to get the 1747-UIC, and even more so the 1784-U2DHP USB to DH+ cable, which is very pricey. If you don't have that, or just want to go with the latest stuff, go ahead and get the new.

I have changed companies since I went that route, and now have a newer laptop and the UIC and DH+ USB cables. Both are working fine with my Win 7 64-bit laptop. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

USB to DH485 interface converter 1747-UIC works perfectly with windows 7 pro or home 64bit. See below what you need to do.
Plug in converter to USB port of Windows 64 bit computer and let windows install driver from Windows update, once Windows install drivers it will display as a usb serial with com port number in device manager under ports
That's it you can load any driver from rslinks, df1 or dh485 both will work