Hardware v.s Software

jsjerkins

Hi I am new to the forum so this is my first post. I am wanting to know if a hardware plc is needed versus software emulation for learning about PLC's. I am a college student currently enrolled in a PLC & DCS class. I am trying to get some hands on experience with PLC's. We have 22 students in my plc class and 25 in my dcs class but only have 7 work stations to do hands on. So as you can see it is hard to get any experience/time in on plc. I looked at ebay and I am considering buying a micrologix 1000 for around 289.00. it comes with the switches,dvd and status lights for I/O. My main concern is money, can I get by with software emulation or would the micrologix or any other plc be better? What would be the best learning aid? I am a electrician currently in a degree program for Instrumentation but really want to pursue the plc and dcs path. Thanks in advance.

With a PLC, you will also need the programming software. You can get a free limited downloadable copy of RSLogix500 programming software to use with a MicroLogix 1000 or 1100, but it will not work with any other MicroLogix or SLC programmable logic controller.

You might want to start with a RSLogix simulator program, such as the LogixPro simulator software, available free for 15 days ($35 if you decide to keep using it). The CD version might be the better deal if you plan to use it for several years while you study PLCs. You can get it here:
http://www.thelearningpit.com/

Be sure to upload and save the student exercises that go along with the LogixPro Simulator program:
http://thelearningpit.com/plc/psim/doc/index.html

Last edited: