1766 Micrologix 1400 HSC

M. Jemai

Hi guys,
I am going to configure a diesel engine rpm monitoring on the 1766 micrologix 1400 controller using the build in HSC input feature via RS logix 500 ver. 8.4
The engine idle speed is 1800 rpm
any one has done this before or knows how to configure the controller to read the engine speed

Thanks

Good day Bit Bucket,
I really don't chose the sensor yet, and I have a catalog from Rockwell with a wide range of sensors that I will go through later and select the adequate model,
As I know it should be a 24 V DC powered speed sensor and the magnetic non powered sensors will not operate on such fast DI's

Forget trying to do it in the PLC - go and buy a generator controller.Not worth the wasted time - I do generators all the time and spend the money to buy a controller. The only sensor that works properly is a mag pick up - max 5VDC - not PLC material. Trying to save money usually costs money. Have a look at Woodward - they work.

Thanks BobB,
I agree with you, and the generator that I am going to upgrade its control panel already has it's original magnetic pickup and governorr control module but I would like to add the speed function to the new monitoring PLC
I experienced before a diesel engine controlled with an SLC 5/05 controller and its speed was read through magnetic pickup to HSC module and that was working fine

I would like to make this works with the Micrologix 1400 fast inputs 0 , HSC0

Why? If it works leave it alone. Use proprietary generator controllers that do the job - do not try and reinvent the ruddy wheel! Spend the dollars for a good controller, I use Woodward, and stop fiddling around. It costs much more to try and do it in a PLC than use a generator controller that costs $3-4k. Not worth the time.
Generator control systems are where I make big bucks - I use what suits the job - PLC does not!!!!! Too much hard work.
Use the right gear, get the job out of the way and get on to the next one - make lots of dollars!

I disagree BobB.

If you already have the PLC and the HSC, then controlling this generator should be a piece of cake with very little investment. If the Micrologix PLC offers a cycle counter mode for the HSC input, then you could set it up to return a single pulse for every x number of pulses read at the high speed input and then you won't have to worry about losing pulse counts during counter resets.

While I'm familiar with high speed counters in general, I've never attempted to use the built-in HSC on the Micrologix, so I don't want to confuse the issue by offering irrelevant advice.

Surely someone else on the forum has actual, hands-on experience with this?

Be careful - mag pick ups only generate low level signals - 5V is pretty high for a mag pick up. Can the PLC input take it?

There have been some disasters with PLC controlled generator systems. Have seen some very expensive engines destroyed.

If you only want to monitor that is fine but if you want to control getting the PI values (if diesel or petrol) or PID values (if gas) right is not particularly easy to respond to lod. Gas requires a lot of D - diesel normally does not require any.

If you wish to control I would suggest at the very least an independent overspeed switch.

As you only want to monitor that should be OK - I misread the first time and thought you wanted to control. Be aware of the low level output of the mag pick up that is all.