Difference between Feeder Automation and Distributed Automation

Ardish

Could anyone please give me examples on Feeder Automation and Distributed Automation? I know its related to substation automation, but how?

I am looking for some practical examples here like automated switching of feeders etc. Thanks.

I think the term is "distribution automation", referring to the automation of utility power distribution systems; i.e. everything between the bulk power transmission/subtransmission system and the end user.

Yes, you are correct, Distribution Automation is the mostly used term.
I know that it refers to Utility Distribution System, and I have good understanding of what a Utility Distribution System is.

What I have got confused upon is this- Feeders (low voltage transmission lines to customer load areas) are part of distribution substation (which are the main component of any utility's distribution system); and on the same lines I thought that Feeder Automation (e.g. switching of feeders) is one part of Distribution Automation.

But I came across this source which lists Distribution Automation and Feeder Automation as two separate things. Now this has confused me. It means I am thinking on wrong grounds, or may be I don't know the complete picture, that is why I was looking for specific EXAMPLES for Distribution Automation and Feeder Automation so as to clarify my understanding here.

Clarify if you can please, anyone?

I've always understood Feeder Automation to be a component of Distribution Automation, but I'm no expert - probably someone else on this forum can give an authoritative answer.

BTW, a good place to keep up with developments in the field is Transmission & Distribution World magazine. (http://tdworld.com/)