Factory Talk View Site Edition

dbh6

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

In Factory talk view site edition software from AB, is their a HMI systems tag that reads the name of the computer that FT View SE is running on, or if their is a way to read that into FTview SE, please let me know

Which computer? One of the:
  • HMI Server
  • Redundant HMI Server
  • Data Server
  • Redundant HMI Server
  • Alarm & Event Server
  • FactoryTalk Directory Server
  • OPC Server
  • One of the Client machines
View SE can run as a distributed system with functionality spread out amongst several computers/servers. If you are wanting the name of the machine, which one?

It is also possible to run all of the above components on the same machine. In this case, are you asking if there is a way for FT to tell you the name of the computer you are currently using?

OG

@Operaghost, yes i'm asking if there is a way for FT to tell you the name of the computer you are currently using. This is just a local standalone project, so it is indeed an HMI server running on a PC, so my plan is to see if possible have FT get the name or the computer that its running on, so that i can use that to do some programming on the HMI for security purposes

Using VB code it could be pulled from the registry but this is a "roll your own" not built in. What security do you plan to implement using the computer name.

A computers name is used in NetBIOS and can be easily spoofed so not a good thing to base security on.

FT View SE uses factory talk security using it's own credential set or windows credentials which can be local or active directory your choice. This is what you should be using for security.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel it just makes everyone's job that will come behind you a PITA.

Additional note if this is just a play with project and no real system then RS View 32 would be better as the VB coding options are more powerful than what it is in View SE.

@ The PLC Kid i know about the built in security features that SE offers, i have already created users with passwords for security, however the customer want also another level of security because according to them username and passwords get passed around a lot, so im just tying to see different options on how to implent additional security, i don't have experience with VB as im coming from an electrical backgrounf but if need be then i guess i have to learn it, thanks on the tips though, and if you have other ideas shoot them down my way

also just to let you guys know this is a project that is already ready to go, just adding in the security and that should be it, in case your wondering if this is to be implenting

There are proxcard and rfid scanners that work with logix if your client already uses those devices for door access control or timecards,etc.

The simple thing to do would be to setup active directory and make them change their password often. It can use their corporate AD info or you can throw in a small cheap server for AD just for you production gear.

If you are running SE you may be running it on a server os. If so setup AD and make factorytalk security use AD credentials. Fire anyone that shares those.

just friendly advice - feel free to ignore it ...

from post #4:

the customer want also another level of security because according to them username and passwords get passed around a lot,

yep ... they sure do ...

here's a thread on the general topic of PLC "security" ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=413569&postcount=1

and one more post along the same lines ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=358291&postcount=9

the whole point is that without DISCIPLINE for people who break the rules, no level or method of security is going to work ...

so ...

if your customer is asking for this – and willing to pay for it – then by all means give them what they're asking for ... just don't delude yourself – or the customer – with the idea that ANY type of security is going to solve their problems without a serious effort to discipline the people/humans who break the rules ... without discipline, you're really just piddling around ...

from The PLC Kid:

make factorytalk security use AD credentials. Fire anyone that shares those.

pretty harsh – but getting tough is the ONLY way your customer is going to make a security system work ...

Last edited: