First Time Trying to go Online over Ethernet SLC 5 /05

Omnib0mb3r

I need help.

I have a cross over cable
I have Rslinx 2.59.02 CPR 9 SR5
I have RsLogix 500 6.10.10

I have to this point, always used RS232
and now I have to use Ethernet.
how to I get online??????????????????????

I set my IP static to match the processor except the last digit
Please provide a walk through.
it will save me.

EDIT: Okay, you first must configure a driver.
In RSLinx, find the icon or menu option for Configure Drivers.

In the Add New drop down box, select Ethernet IP Driver.

Accept the default name AB_ETHIP-1, and make sure the correct network connection is selected in the next window.

EDIT2: Hit Okay, and make sure the configured driver list shows it as Running and not Error.

Then, in the RSWho window, expand (click the + next to) the AB_ETHIP-1 driver and see if your SLC appears.

If it does not:

Tell us the IP addresses of both your PC as well as the PLC and the subnet mask you used.

What are the LED link indicators doing on the ports?

Also, you have a significant mismatch in versions, using a very new version of RSLinx with a very old version of RSLogix500. This shouldn't be a problem in your case, but it would be wise to upgrade RSLogix500 to version 8.40

Last edited:
I was just typing about entering the IP address into the configuration when I noticed you were here Ron. So I waited...a picture says a thousand words.

I usually also enter the PC IP address into the list first so you see the "server" in the browse list.

G.

the "EtherNet/IP" driver has more horsepower - WHEN it works ...

the regular "Ethernet devices" driver is more "plain vanilla" and I usually prefer it when I'm trying to solve problems ...

and no, you only need to enter the IP address of the unit that you want to talk to ...

quick question for you: how do you KWOW that's the address of your SLC-5/05? ...

Last edited:
so what better EtherNetIP or The ethernet driver

Generally speaking:

The Ethernet IP driver will work for most all modern SLC and Micrologix controllers just fine and is the driver of choice for ControlLogix and CompactLogix.

It browses the whole subnet and lists everything.

The Ethernet Devices driver shown above requires you to enter the IP addresses of the node, but not your PC, it is already defined as the "top level" if you will, of this driver.

I like to use multiple Ethernet Devices drivers to segregate a crowded subnet logically.

I like the Ethernet IP driver for quick access to everything on that subnet, listed by IP address. It may not work well with really old SLC hardware.

They can both coexist just fine. Configure one of each, and try them both (once you get this comms issue resolved.)

Last edited:
Back story. get called to a site and find that the guy who programmed this system was suffering from a bad case of double coil syndrome and self medicating on one shots.
i pull out the trusty RS232 DB9 and plug up and to my surprise. epic failure. lol

upon looking at the report he printed and put in the panel i find that chan 0 system was changed to Dh485. ok let me grab my pic... oh not there someone borrow/stole it. tried to make a crossover on site did everything you said except i did not change my ip to static. would that make a difference. lol

by the way PLC Boot Camp Big Fan

oh ron

i had a report that was said to have be generated from the active project...............
then, i had the program sent to me . but i am skeptical because i was told it was the active program yet the I/O config was not completed........ i was going to default the processor and re download after i changed the comms.

from OkiePC:

I like the Ethernet IP driver for quick access to everything on that subnet, listed by IP address. It may not work well with really old SLC hardware.

and therein lies the rub ... WHEN it works, it works fine ... when it doesn't work (as in certain "old" hardware situations) it sort of leaves you wondering "why not?" ...

my preference for the regular "Ethernet Devices" driver goes back to my old days (in a former lifetime) of being the telephone "answer man" for an Allen-Bradley distributor ... whenever the phone rings at least 90% of the time it's a "communication" problem ... in other words, smart money says you're going to get asked a "how can I get THIS box to talk to THAT box" sort of question ...

in cases like that, the Ethernet Devices driver would often help nail down the problem ... especially when "older" types of equipment might be involved ...

but like I said, WHEN the EtherNet/IP driver works, it works fine ... personally I use it too – but for troubleshooting on "unknown" equipment, I generally go for the "plain vanilla" Ethernet Devices setup ...

Last edited:
to the best of my knowledge, BootP does NOT help you "find" an unknown IP address ... it just lets you SET an address ...

and ...

it won't always work as smoothly as you'd like when trying to set an address ... the processor has to have BootP "enabled" in order for it to work - and if you can't communicate in the first place, then getting BootP "enabled" turns out to be a somewhat "iffy" situation ...

Last edited: