OT: Cell Phone Question

Bit_Bucket_07

I've finally dropped my land line at home. I just wondered if anyone on the forum was aware of a device that could sense an incoming call on my mobile phone and trip an in-home ringer?

Not specifically.

But I use Google Voice, and the notification (with sound and popup) appears on my computer desktop a few seconds before my mobile phone rings. Often I turn off the sound and ringers and just rely on the popups.

The thing is, I no longer have a house phone. I just want to hear my mobile ring when I'm (for instance) in the bedroom and I've left my mobile lying about in the den. This has turned out to be the one major drawback of finally giving up the old landline.

I've seen a few do-it-yourself kits to build a ring detector based upon RF detection from the phone, but these have very short range. One guy made a "dock" for his phone and used a photocell to detect incoming calls when his phone's screen lights up. I'm surprised that nobody is marketing a device that could ring a standard doorbell when you have an incoming call. It would be convenient if there was a docking device that also doubled as a charging station for the phone.

I'm accustomed to always having my mobile nearby when I'm away from home, but I'd like to be able to just put it down somewhere when I'm in the house without worrying about missing a call. Monitoring a computer display isn't a solution. If I'm going to do that, I can just as well monitor the phone.

you do realise that such a device has a very risky other use.
I would suggest these devices should not be available or used.

That seems to be the closest thing to what I want that is currently on the market. Just seems like overkill, though. All I really want is a ringer that can be heard from anywhere in the house -- unlike the ringer on my mobile phone.

You can purchase my link in post # 4 or the link in post # 8 and use with any old house phone you have or had installed easier than trying to "roll yer own".

Pretty sure if you disconnected service the wiring is still in your house. If you no longer have a POTS physical phone you can get a el cheapo one just to ring at walmart for about 5 bucks.

I havent looked at the standard, but IIRC the Bluetooth design distance is 30ft - obviously subject to some kind of variance - if you go with a BT option be sure to test it in all areas of your home.

You COULD just wear the Bluetooh earpiece everywhere (You see these people everywhere...)...

-John

Microphone and amplifier to "speakers". This ofcourse needs the phone to be in specific location.

Is there any car phone products that can be hooked to the phone..

Yes.. I do not have a glue.