Splices in Codulet T

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
How do you feel about splicing wires in condulets with wire nuts, 120vac control wire, THHN wet environment?

Is it normal to tell a guy to move a PB station, knowing and being forewarned that the wires were too short, and then being surprised when he spends 4 hours pulling it though 60 feet of pipe to the nearest j-box which is ceiling mounted in the attic with phenolic block screw terminal blocks.

I was told it was normal just to pull to the nearest pull elbow and splice there. Was I stupid for pulling it all the way back? What do you guys do? Any polices, rules, laws that apply here (aside from the wrong type of wire for water)?

6 14awg wires in a 3/4" plasti-bond pipe tee at the bottom of the drip leg within four inches of the open end (which I also think is wrong, but had no time to fix.) Would you put wire nuts and tape right above a 1" opening near the floor which is sprayed heavily daily?

Last edited:
AFAIK, the NEC (might have been an AHJ; not sure) says that those are pull fittings only, and can't be used for splices; too little room for wire wire count (splices count as two wires).

It probably also violates the NEC rule wherein you need to have 6" of wire, measured from the front face of the j-box, for splicing. There's no possible way there's enough room in that little pull fitting for all that wire, to say nothing of the wirenuts.

It's also just a ****-poor idea; you're not doing the next person that has to work on that wiring any favors. Any chance or replacing that pull fitting with a water-tight j-box of some description?

Doing it right sometimes takes longer, but usually not as long as doing it twice.

-rpoet

Thank you. I am not code expert, but gee freaking whiz where is the sense sometimes? If it looks like a stupid thing to do, it is probably a violation, and what Mr. Ed expected is a stupid expectation. But you know what they say, "It is as It does...stoopid that is."

I'm 90% sure leaving an opened ended 3" nipple hanging below the Tee is a violation, too, but I can see doing it for practical reasons with say a 36" drip leg, not 3".

IMHO I hate splices in condulets and pull boxes. Pull boxes are meant to be pull boxes. When I make a junction I really want it done on terminals in a junction panel / termination panel.

I like unbroken runs as much as possible but with pleanty of pull boxs for that run.n The caveat to this is somewhere down the road some genius will decide to convert a pullbox to a junction box.

As far as wire nuts I don't allow them on site. IMHO wire nuts are for house electricians not industrial electricains,Techs and Engineers.

I would have done it the same way you did Okie. Making those type connections is not against code that I am aware of but still not a good practice.

I hold the opinion that if you plant or equipment simply "meets code" the you are very likely to have some very crappy stuff as code is the bare minimum. I always try to design above code as I am likely to encounter the equipment /site again. A contractor or OEM would hold a different opinion as designing above code costs them more money.

From NEC article 314 (C) Conduit bodies. “Only those conduit bodies that are durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer with their volume shall be permitted to contain splices, taps or devices. The maximum number of conductors shall be calculated in accordance with table 314.16(B).”

That is 2 cubic inches per conductor.

Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be counted as one conductor. Each conductor that passes through the box without splice or termination shall be counted once.

From NEC article 314 (C) Conduit bodies. “Only those conduit bodies that are durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer with their volume shall be permitted to contain splices, taps or devices. The maximum number of conductors shall be calculated in accordance with table 314.16(B).”

That is 2 cubic inches per conductor.

Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be counted as one conductor. Each conductor that passes through the box without splice or termination shall be counted once.

Great ammo, I mean info. I can make a calculation tomorrow (I am home early today) and depending on the result, dictate to them how these situations will be handled, end of discussion.

Anyone able to research or knowledgeable about the open ended pipe thing? I am going to sleep for a bit.

TIA,
Paul

Last edited:
I am trying to show a trend in FT View ME from a analogue signal. I have activated the tag in the trend tag box for the pen but the data does not show.

sa747sp,

Your post #10 is completely unrelated to the subject of "Splices in T Condulet".

Please delete your post, and start a new thread on your subject. Better still, do a site search (click on small white "Search" button above) to first view all the other previous posts for " Factory Talk View ME Trend ". You will find about 17 previous threads with dozens of posts about your subject.

Last edited:
In my 35+ years as an Industrial Electrician, I have encountered wire nuts in conduit AND condulets. I CUSS up a storm every single time. There are places for splices and NOT places for splices. AN ASSUMED pulling junction is NOT a place for one.

I also agree with the previous poster who expressed disdain for wire nuts in an industrial environment. They have no place in the PROFESIONAL INDUSTRIAL world.

I'm not 100% against splicing inside Ts, LBs, etc (though, I do know it's not code). But I will do my best to avoid it. Usually has to do when sensors are mounted to conduit runs for specific purposes. I've seen them in a few machines that way (not built by me) in the past and never bothered changing them.

The last time I can remember doing it was on a set of red hat valves. I put an SLB on the valve and a MIN sized male quick connect on the other side of the SLB. Making them quick connectable. I don't think this creates an unsafe condition or hazard in any real way.

IMO, it's just one of those things that really do have a use. Like the height of a ceiling dropped 120V receptacle on the shop floor. Do you make it code height for "disconnect" means or do you put it slightly higher than that and avoid smacking your head into the cast steel corners of the box body... (I think the drop height topic was discussed on these forums in the past, which is why I mention it).

We get stuff out here all the time that has absolutely no place for a terminal strip. Granted, wire nuts are few and far between, but there is a place for them - low power, signal type stuff, or, instead of running miles of CLX just to correct a broken wire we sometimes use a box large enough for the job. If you guys have ever worked with CLX, ty-wrapped down in places where the birds and mice won't go, you know what I mean.

We prefer terminals, and use them for splices when we can, though.

I also agree with the previous poster who expressed disdain for wire nuts in an industrial environment. They have no place in the PROFESIONAL INDUSTRIAL world.
If you are in one of those industrial places right now, look up at the light fixtures. Do they have junction boxes on every conduit run where it tees off to each row of fixtures?

Most likely your industrial light fixture conduits have tees with wire nuts inside. The electricians that installed them proably were professionals, but also were realists.

Last edited: