Read var management parameters

rdredge

Hi Guy's,

I have fully configured all my reads writes and sequeneced them as per my usual setup. However while configuring my code I found that the management tables are very limited on the error code that are presented to the programmer. there were multiple cases where I would have a connection to the PC and I would turn off my simulator and the exchange number would simply stop incrementing and the activity number would cahnge to 0, however surly I should recieve an error code and the slave device has been turned off e.g.

16#01 Exchange stop on timeout!!

there a number of cases where my code has seemed fine as it wasn't flagging any errors however a issue was present in the connection without error. Pwerhaps because it still have a IP connection to the PC I was simulating on, but even if I pull the cable it has 0 in the comms report BYTE

Does anybody have similar issues. When I previously coded on emerson bristol babcock RTU's they would always display a timeout flag if a connection issue occured.

Cheers,
Ray.

Ray,

You need to slow down, go back to Step 1 and describe your problem for those of us who have broken Crystal Balls and cannot read your mind. Starting in the middle and leaving out the first part results in puzzlement, head scratching, and a big response of "0".

What is your code for?
What does it run on?
What is the brand, model, and description?
What software are you using?
What are "var management parameters"?

Is this question still about your Unity Pro XL Version 7 project, as in your previous thread?
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=78146
_ _

Last edited:
This sounds like a GEST table with READ_VAR blocks on Schneider Electric hardware. Can you post an .sta file of your program with your block so we can see how you are calling it? Do you have a timeout set? I avoid these blocks whenever possible, and would prefer to use MSG instructions from Rockwell, but have had to program these on M340s. I can usually capture the fault reports but I had to use edge detection to get at the value before it changes.

Can you use IOScanner instead of the message blocks from code? It's much easier to setup.

Management table

Sorry for the confusion this is related to my previous thread. I'm using Unity Pro XL v7.0 to program a Modicon M340 342020 processor.

The code is basically reading data (IR,HR,ID,Coils) from 5 different PLC types via TCP/IP Modbus using the processors onboard Ethernet port.

I'm using the READ_VAR block as I can't use the I/O scanner due to it being incapable of reading input register / input digitals.

The code works and reads all the data however as I previously stated I'm not happy with the management table. Possibly due to my lack of knowledge.So yes its the GEST input (management array) to the READ_VAR block that I'm seeing issues with as I stated in the previous post.

I do have the timeout set.

I know I should have received errors when I close the simulator but it doesn't fail?