Export I/O Config - RSLogix 5k

mmain1

I am new to Allen Bradley programming. What I'm trying to do is transfer an I/O card including all it's configuration to another project.

I have 2 1715-AENTR cards in the controller PLC. I've called them ENET_A and ENET_B. They have identical but separate I/O racks connected to them. So I manually configured all the I/O racks under ENET_A, but I would like to duplicate ENET_A to create ENET_B.

What I've tried so far:
1) Edit-Copy: Copying the ENET_A AENTR card and pasting it to the controller only produces an unconfigured AENTR card on the controller.
2) Export to L5K, duplicate all of ENET_A changing the names where applicable to create ENET_B such as module names and parent id's. When I try to import this I get either 'Not enough storage to complete this operation' or RSLogix just crashes.
3) I have successfully imported ENET_B into a temporary project by deleting the ENET_A section in the L5K, I thought this might get passed the 'Not enough storage' issue and it did. So now I have my actual project configured with ENET_A and a temporary project that has ENET_B correctly configured. I would like to export the ENET_B from the temp project and import it into my actual project.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I don't know if it's even worth trying to I/O Import/Export between the projects...
You could Copy/Paste each individual module starting with the comms bridges in no time.
If the Copy/Paste does not work is probably because of the CPUs types and
firmware revisions; you might not be able to use the same hardware (firmware included) using the same settings on two different platforms.

That may be the case in most situations. This project has somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 I/O cards.

Time is less of a concern to me than accuracy. The likelihood of me getting all 450 cards configured correctly again on the first try is pretty slim. If I make an exact copy of ENET_A it would be guaranteed to be right.

I'm sure I will end up doing it manually as you have suggested, but it's a far from ideal solution.

I don't think there's an automatic way to do this. Are you only trying to copy parts of the I/O tree? You could try saving as a .L5K file and use a text editor. I don't know how well or safe this method would be.

450 I/O modules?!...o_O
RSL5K is the (almost) ultimate user software package...Unfortunately is has a few "user conveniences" issues such as the inability to automatically transfer I/O configurations between projects and, my personal major one, the lack of a true "I/O Usage" tool...
Hopefully one of the future releases will address some of the experienced inconveniences.
In your particular case, you could use the RSL5K Project Compare tool in order to ensure "perfect" match between the two projects.

To follow up on this post what I found to be the easiest way to accomplish what I wanted to do was to open 2 instances of RSLogix and drag from the project that had ENET_B I/O configured into the ENET_A project.