Download logic to multiple PLCs

glnassaf

Hi,
I have a plant with quite a few AB Micrologic 1400 PLCs and Siemens 1200 PLCs.
The PLCs have identical logic. I'd like to know if there is a way to download logic to multiple PLCs together.
For example, I have logic changes I would like to distribute to all (or just a few) PLCs.
Anyone familiar with a way to do that with AB or Siemens?

Thanks in advance,
Assaf

I don't think this is possible.
First of all you will have to use different software packages depending on the CPUs manufacturers and I am sure the programming logic is not "identical" but maybe for the same type CPUs; an AB and a Siemens system might "do identical things", however, the programming logic is most certainly not identical.
Then "downloading" to a processor is quite a "delicate" endeavor; the systems will have to be "put to idle", a "live" connections has to be established between the user software PC and the CPU controller and then the code needs to be transfered.
There are plenty of opportunities of something going wrong even when the operation is executed perfectly according to "the book"; IMHO automatically and simultaneulsly downloading to multiple CPUs is something that will never be pefected, at least not within our lifetimes.

Of course you are correct...
I didn't mean to download a Siemens logic into an AB PLC or vice versus.
All the AB PLCs share identical logic and all the Siemens PLCs share the same logic.
I meant an automated download process to the AB plcs and Siemens PLCs separately.
I am thinking of something similar to changes you make to an HMI system and able to distribute to all of the stations.
I am aware of the download process being a delicate process, but I don't think it is an impossible task.
The question is if anyone is familiar with a tool that enables such feature. I never heard of one...

Theoretically ,possible.
I havent done it but if you know VBA , this is how you can do it:-
In RSLogix500 you can write VBA code to (1)Connect to first PLC (2) Select the .rss file to download (3) Download file (4) Move to next PLC node....
Expertise on VBA programming is required. I havent done it ,just posting a possibility.

glnassaf,

not trying to be rude.

even if it were possible to do what you ask, consider the following with what you are trying to do.

1. all machines must be in a manual mode and in home position.
2. all production workers must be clear of the machines
3. all maintenance personnel must be clear of the machines.
4. if you got something wrong and downloaded the program to multiple machines, they are all wrong. they all start up and they all go nuts at the same time. maybe get someone hurt on all the machines at the same time.

this would never be allowed at any plant where i have worked.
the safety factor and liability is not work the risk.

safest thing to do is do it one machine at a time, minimize the risk.

regards,
james

Thank you all for your replies.
James, Normally I would agree with you, but these aren't machines I am talking about so the safety factor does not exist.

I understand that I have to develop something for the AB PLCs, but following a query I sent Siemens regarding TIA Portal and downloading to multiple PLCs, I received an interesting answer.
Siemens states that it is possible to setup multiple PLCs in TIA Portal and automatically download logic to all of them.
I asked for the maximum number of nodes I am able to define, and they stated there is no maximum... It depends on the PCs RAM.

Regards,
Assaf

HI, I have now the same problem where I have over a hundred of Allen-Bradley ML1400 PLC's with the same logic I need to edit and in the future it will be also for Siemens S7-1200 PLC's.
If you'll have a solution - I'll be happy to hear and vice versa.
Did Siemens people showed you how to download to many PLC's ?

Siemens people also showed us how to allow STUXNET take over an automation system and completely destroy it...:sick:
I've thought you guys were part of it too...

Are you sure that this post wasn't an April Fools prank?
If the 1400's are all the same, how are they networked?
Don't they need to have unique IP addresses?

One download to multiple processors is probably not possible for either brand. Even if it were, I'm not sure the benefit (small) would offset the hassle and potential problems (large).

You can, however, download programs one at a time to multiple PLCs from a single location. I have done that many times with many brands, including the ones you mention. The individual PLCs must all be networked - Ethernet is best, but I've done it on serial networks too. You need to address each PLC individually and connect in the programming package to each processor. Download, put back to run mode, disconnect, and then change the address, connect to the next PLC, and repeat the download.

Careful, though. Although the programming may be identical it is possible that some settings for timers, control loops, etc. may vary. When I did this I actually connected, uploaded the current program, saved it with a unique name, and then downloaded the new program. Then I had a record of all those settings. On a day I was especially smart I would check them over and make the required changes before going to the next processor. On most days I would get in a hurry, but at least I had a record to refer to when the process wasn't running quite right.