RSLogix 500 upload documentation

jld30

Hello everyone, I am using RSLogix 500 and SLC 5/04, and got relieved of the computer with the most recent program on it. I do have another computer with and older version of the program on it. Many hours of additions between the two but I am most interested in the Names, comments and documentation that I would not see from an upload and creating a new file. How can I utilize the older file best and what would the effect of downloading the old version? Thanks

If the new version is in a PLC, you could upload (* see definition below) it from the PLC to your computer, then import the old symbols, descriptions, and comments from an old file copy of the old previous version. Then the only thing missing will be any new symbols, descriptions, and comments for the modifications that you made in the new version. When you get the new copy into your computer, then do a "Tools, Database, Native Import", then select the old file (stored somewhere on your computer) to import from. On the Native Import pop-up menu, you can select from the list the things you want to import, and how you want to handle differences between the two versions.

*Upload - used by RSLogix to mean the old pre-Internet definition of moving data from another computer or device UP to your computer or storage device.

Download - move data from this computer or device DOWN to some other computer or device.

Most people think there is now only one type of data move, the Download, because that is all they ever see on the Internet. All the available files are for moving from the other computer (someone elses's computer) to your computer. It is a download from THEIR computer, but for you and your computer, it is actually an UPLOAD of the very same data. The only difference in the two is the relative direction of travel of the data.

How can I utilize the older file best and what would the effect of downloading the old version?
If you truly download the old version (from your computer to the PLC), then it will overwrite all the changes you made in the new version. Instead do it the other way: upload the new version to your PC, then import parts of the old database from a file copy program of the old version.
Select Comms > Download to download the current offline program into the controller. RSLogix 500 asks if you want to go online. Click yes to go online; then select the operating mode from the Comms > Mode.

Alternately, you can click Comms > Upload to upload the current controller project into your computer memory.
RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software

DOWNLOAD.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you Lanice, You did answer my question, I felt the had to be an better option than the first two I thought of. Great explanation of upload/download, it is counter intuitive to me and I have to check myself when ever I am about to upload or download. My quote was correct and what you stated was the effect I assumed. Thank you sir for the guidance.

I was glad to help. I don't think you will have any problem in recreating your new program. It is always smart to make an extra copy of both new and old program files, until you mange to get 1 good combined copy. Sometimes combining the databases does not turn out exactly as expected and you have to experiment to get the best result. Then you can delete the extras.

Last edited: