Good Learning tool?

SeanLee,
You should download a PLC software program, and then practice writing programs. Usually you can find a free one, or at least a 30-day trial offer, or a "starter kit". The starter kits have a small PLC, the programming software, connection cable, and user manuals. Look at Omron ZEN, AutomationDirect.com, Siemens, and Allen-Bradley (Rockwell) Micrologix PLC's.

Prof. Bill is the MAN!

Check out the Learning Pit by Prof. Bill Simpson. It's one of the best resources and one of my favourites.

I agree with Jean Pierre, you can also do what Lancie1 suggests, but I use LogixPro from the Learning Pit in my PLC classes that I teach. From the reaction of my students, it is a very good package. I have had newbees go from knowing nothing about programming PLCs and be doing simple programs in as little as a week with the LogixPro and associated lab assignments that you can download for free and use with the software. The price is unbeatable and the experience is very much like what you will do and see the first time you use AB's RSLogix. Hard combo to beat!

Randy, I fully agree. But LogixPro is only the first step. The best thing to continue with after LogixPro is to actually obtain a PLC and the necessary software and program the real thing. So, I also fully agree with Lancie1.

Best thing to do is simply to get experience one way or the other, on a real PLC is the best choice, LogixPro is a very good (and realy cheap - but only in price :p ) alternative.

Kind regards,