SLC500 programming cables?

StuartH

Hi Forum,

Someone has asked me to back up a bunch of SLC500's (type unkown)
I dont do much bradley but I do have RSLogix 500 from a previous job. I also have the 1756CP3/A cable which should apparently cover me for the 503,504 and 505.
I believe I need the 1747-PIC for the rest. Is this the case?
Also its £470 in routico!! I could get a cheap one from china on ebay for about £20. Anyone have any experience of those?

Thanks,

slc500 comms

hi, the PIC is a serial port device, your pc/laptop still have a serial port, you could use A0114000389 usb - serial adapter, and a 1761-CBL-AP00 comms cable

All SLC processors will have either RS-232 or DH-485 as a communication option. You're going to either need your CP3 cable or a 1747-UIC, which is the USB version of the PIC box. Even if your laptop has a serial port, the UIC may be the cheaper option.

I do have RSLogix 500 from a previous job.

how up-to-date is your copy? ... if the processors have some age on them then give it a shot – but some newer models can't be accessed with some of the older software versions ... if the processors are "older" then you're probably OK ...

you've got RSLinx also – right? ...

I also have the 1756CP3/A cable which should apparently cover me for the 503,504 and 505.

probably – well, maybe ... the fact is that the 9-pin serial port on the front of the processors might have been reconfigured by the original programmer ... in other words, you might find something like a barcode reader or a small HMI plugged into this port when you arrive ... in that case, the port has probably been reconfigured and will probably NOT be usable as a programming (uploading) port ... in simplest terms, you'll probably need some other method of communicating with the processor ...

I believe I need the 1747-PIC for the rest. Is this the case?

hard to say for sure without more information ...

Also its £470 in routico!! I could get a cheap one from china on ebay for about £20. Anyone have any experience of those?

if I were you, I'd get in touch with the guy linked below ... he'll have what you need – or will be willing to give you some friendly advice on where to get it ... the picture below covers a lot of ground for the types of systems that you're talking about – but he sells the component parts separately too ...

http://www.ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm

going further ...

backing up the processors by uploading their current programs is a good thing to do ... I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it ... but ... you need to be aware that when you upload the programs, the files that you'll get will NOT contain any helpful descriptions, comments, and other documentation ... the reason is simple: that type of information is never stored inside the processor is the first place ...

here's what I'd recommend ... before you get started, search DILIGENTLY for any available offline program files that might be related to these systems ... IF (that's a big IF) you can find those files, try opening them and research the processors' Channel Configuration feature ... hopefully the settings there will be current enough to help you chart a course ...

if you're allowed to do so, you can post the files here and we'll help you decide what you're going to run into before you get started ...

hopefully this will be helpful to you ... good luck with your project ...

marks_cables.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Folks,

My copy is V7.30.10. Is that old? I havent been provided any information about these PLC's but I know they have been in production a while so they cant be that new.
Would I need to purchase an upgrade to access the newer models or is it a free hotfix?

If the configurable port has been taken, how do i communicate to it?

I mostly use siemens so its the same deal with the comments. Always upload into a project. Its definately a point worth making however.

Also, Do I need RSLinx? I roughly know its a networking package but I dont have it. I assumed it was for more complex networks.

Thanks. Thats great. I always like free things.
Interestingly, Most of this was mentioned by rockwell support!!