how to use a factorytalk tag value in vb?

Connor93

hi guys,

iam using vb to display a popup message when a button is clicked, the popup displayed needs to dependent on the state of the tag associated with that button,

could I use
dim actualTag as ?????

any advice or examples would be appreciated, iv used the rockwell knowledge base example with no great luck, cheers

Here is an example from RsView32, I assume that FT is the same but I've never used it.

Code:
Dim MyTag As Tag
Dim MyTagValue As Variant

Set MyTag = gTagDb.GetTag(TagName)
  MyTagValue = MyTag.Value
  Set MyTag = Nothing

When you create an object in memory with the Set XXX = something, it is important to clear it and release the memory with Set XXX = Nothing when XXX is no longer required.

if you need to read/write more than a couple of tags at a time then you should considder using the tags collection method to be more efficient.

Code:
Dim TagsColl As Tags, TagPath As String

TagPath = "PLC\Calibration\"
  Set TagsColl = gTagDb.QueryForTags(TagPath + "*") 'Point to tags
  ' Update Tag Database
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "PunchOffsetA").PendingValue = OffA
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "PunchOffsetB").PendingValue = OffB
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "PunchOffsetC").PendingValue = OffC
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "PunchOffsetD").PendingValue = OffD
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "PunchOffsetE").PendingValue = OffE
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "PunchOffsetF").PendingValue = OffF
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "PunchOffsetG").PendingValue = OffG
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "PunchOffsetL").PendingValue = OffL
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "PunchOffsetM").PendingValue = OffM
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "ShearOffset").PendingValue = OffCut
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "Goset").PendingValue = Goset
  TagsColl.Item(TagPath + "BlankLength").PendingValue = BlankLength
  TagsColl.WritePendingValues roNoWait
  Set TagsColl = Nothing

Nick

You could use VB to accomplish your task but wouldn't it be easier to use animation and stack different buttons for different screens?