Simatic HMI and Mitsu PLC

bob1371

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,
I havent worked with HMI's for serveral years so im starting from scratch. I am thinking of using the Simatic TP170A touch screen. It appears to have all the features I need. I will be using this with a Mitsubishi FX series plc. Just looking for recommendations (good or bad). Is there a trial version of the Simatic protool software?

Thanks,
Bob

Hey Bob,

I Really like the siemens TP's and they work quite well, however if you are using a Mitsy PLC I would suggest using a biejers E600 or similar. The are fairly much designed for Mitsubishi's and some would argue that they work better then the GOT's. The siemens will work with an FX but they can be somewhat difficult until you get into a "Simatic" state of mind, check out http://www.beijerelectronics.com/english/products/operator_terminals/index.HTM (I think)

you will find them quite easy to configure and work quite well with Mitsy's

best of luck

Mylo

The E series terminals are sold thru Mitsubishi here in the states you can call your Mitsu distributor for assistance. Here's a link to the Mitsu site HERE The other advantage is you can put the terminal in a transparent mode and talk directly to the FX plc, I don't know if this is possible with the Simatic.

I've programmed several Mitsubishi PLC with E Series screens and they work very well together. The programming software "E Designer" is very easy to use because of the flow chart structure. I learned it in a few hours. The FX PLC software is a little less impressive but it does the job. I'm sure Mitsubishi has a demo for the E series if you ask your distributor. Nice thing about the E series is the transparent mode and the Ethernet add-on module that you can buy for a couple of hundred bucks! The down side to the E-series is when you use it with a PLC other than Mitsubishi the transparent mode is disabled. It does still have passthrough though.... The Cimrex/Biejers screens line function with most PLC except for Mitsubishi.