Motorized Pot

noxcuses

I'm trying to control main drive speed adjustment from multiple locations on a production line. The Main station needs to be updated with any other location changes. I was thinking of using a motorized pot, but can't find what i'm looking for. Has anyone had success with a certain brand motorized pot or have any ideas on how to do same function?

I'm trying to control main drive speed adjustment from multiple locations on a production line. The Main station needs to be updated with any other location changes. I was thinking of using a motorized pot, but can't find what i'm looking for. Has anyone had success with a certain brand motorized pot or have any ideas on how to do same function?

Something like this?

http://www.p3america.com/pp/bs275.htm

Use a PLC for this with analog output to the drive.
then some digital switches as input, this way you can jog, and run slow, etc.

Or, if the motors are energized by VFD's, study the VFD instruction manual to find MOP or sometimes called Floating Point speed control. Most VFD's have that capability buried in there somewhere.

Set up one of the drives as the lead drive with MOP speed control and set the rest of the drives as speed followers of the lead drive.

You can have as many operator stations as you wish. Set each one up with an Increase Speed pushbutton and a Decrease Speed pushbutton. Wire all Increase Speed buttons in parallel and then to the Increase Speed Input on the drive. Do the same with the Decrease Speed buttons wiring them to the Decrease Speed input.

Heh!

I did that back in the early 1980s with an Eaton Drive that was on a remote Westinghouse NumaLogic PC700 I/O chassis with no analog I/O. Back then, both memory and I/O capacity were very precious commodities.

Kids these days are spoiled! ;)

Wow. Numalogic 700? I worked at Westinghouse in the early eighties, right out of school. I learned PLCs on various Numalogics.

I learned on NumaLogic as well. The first PLC that I ever installed was TI. We were doing plant automation with relays back in those days. I learned to program by playing around with the PLC panels that I was building in my panel shop. The first programming project that I was actually responsible for was done with a GE Series One and a hand-held boolean programmer. The NumaLogic panels that I had been building previously were programmed by another company, but I had access to a program loader for testing, so I played around with the lights, buttons, thumb-wheels and meters after hours at the shop. We had StarLink tape recorders for storing our programs on cassette back in those days.

Memory Lane... ;)

The first programming project that I was actually responsible for was done with a GE Series One and a hand-held boolean programmer.

Same here. The GE Series One was the first actual PLC I worked with. I had been working with DEC PDP8s as a control platform for a while before that.

hi,
First of all I want to know you are using new drive or old drive? Drive is AC VFD or DC Drive? Yes you can use motorized pot and its digital in puts control from many places. If you are using VFD then shift its parameter on speed incr/decr by digital inputs. These digital inputs can be control parallel as mush you need.
Best regards,

I learned on NumaLogic as well. The first PLC that I ever installed was TI. We were doing plant automation with relays back in those days. I learned to program by playing around with the PLC panels that I was building in my panel shop. The first programming project that I was actually responsible for was done with a GE Series One and a hand-held boolean programmer. The NumaLogic panels that I had been building previously were programmed by another company, but I had access to a program loader for testing, so I played around with the lights, buttons, thumb-wheels and meters after hours at the shop. We had StarLink tape recorders for storing our programs on cassette back in those days.

Memory Lane... ;)

In the early 80's I was running around the neighborhood re-enacting scenes from Star Wars movies. Ha! When I started my career in the late-90's most of my projects were replacing GE Series one's and TI PLCs. I remember holding the hand held programmer and thinking.. "how the heck could someone use this to program".

Sorry for jumping into this thread, but i have done a few searches, but cant find an instance were this would be used.

What exactly is a motorized pot used for in this situation?

Thanks in advance
Kenneth

Sorry for jumping into this thread, but i have done a few searches, but cant find an instance were this would be used.

What exactly is a motorized pot used for in this situation?

Thanks in advance
Kenneth

MOP's are actually pretty common. We have many lines that cover three floors and more than 600 feet in length. Having a single point to control line speed (for example) would be difficult to manage to say the least. With an MOP, line speed can be adjusted from any point on the line.

They are common (but becoming less so now with more advanced PLC's) where a single analog reference must be controlled from multiple points. A True Motor Operated Pot can also be used with just about any reference voltage, while the electronic versions are typically only good for a +/- 15 VDC range (or 4-20mA).