Profinet 153IM-4PN remote I/O module problem

minerman

I have a S7 315CPU with a profinet connection to a ET 200M 153IM-4PN. This is a new setup.

The S7 CPU and its modules appear to be fine. I have successfully edited the ethernet nodes for both the CPU and the IM module. I've given them IP addresses and names. This all seems to be fine. I can ping both devices.

In the HW Config, the IM module and all of it's I/O modules have red X's on them when I go online. Under the Module Information General tab, the status says: "Module configured, but not available". Under IO Device Diagnostics, there is no information. Under interface, it shows 0.0.0.0 for the IP Address, 0.0.0.0 for the subnet, and 00-00-00-00-00-00 for the MAC address. It also states: "Conflicts: IO Device not found"

Also, I should include these devices are networked using an unmanaged ethernet switch.

I'm not sure what to do. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Believe it or not a ping doesn't mean all 4 wires in your Ethernet connect are good. Did you make the cable?
Check the connection

The "Module configured, but not available" can mean that there is a difference in the module configuration to what is actually put together.
Cycle power to both CPU and ET200M.
Check that the configuration really matches the reality.
Connect the ET200M IMs one-by-one directly to the 315 CPU, to see if they come online.

If I have I/O modules off, can this happen? I have not applied power to all of my IO modules, because electricians are simultaneously wiring to the PLC>

Everything is in the rack. The ethernet connection has power. I just have some IO modules that are in the rack, that required external power. I actually have applied power to them now (electricians left), still seem to be having the problem.

So for the third time - like Jrw asked
Did you make up the Ethernet connection and connector
Or a preassembled cable?

So for the third time - like Jrw asked
Did you make up the Ethernet connection and connector
Or a preassembled cable?

Sorry, it was a preassembled cable. I also swapped it out with a cable that I know works. I also tried connecting directly to the CPU. none of this has worked so far.

I have since applied power to all the modules that require power to operate. Two of the modules still have SF lights. They match the module configuration. They are in the middle of the rack. They are both the same model of io module. 6ES7 332-5HF00-0AB0. I am not sure that this has anything to do with the problem we are talking about though...

So lets recap
Using edit Ethernet nodes you set the name and
IP address
This name and address matches your hw config
You downloaded hw config
You have an mmc in your CPU
Your cables are good

And you still have bus fault lights?

This name and address matches your hw config
quote]

Whoohoo!! This was the problem. This got rid of my bus faults.

First time Siemens user. I didn't know this had to be true.

Thanks!

Now I just have several SF lights taht I have to take care of. Oddly, two of my SF lights went out on my IO modules, and 3 different io module SF lights came on, when I made this change.

Can we keep this thread going?

My final problem (lol) is that I have 3 AI8x12bit modules in my remote rack with SF lights on. When I go online in the HW config, it shows no problem. It just says "Module available and o.k." in the diagnostics.

I've measured the 24VDC supply at the 3 modules (required for power). This is the only thing that I can think of to check at this point. Looking for ideas.

Last edited:
Does your hardware config settings match the jumper setting on the
side of the module?
(Im doing some assuming on the module type)
What about diagnostics? are they turned on in the hardware config and the wiring is not complete?

ana.jpg