Cooling tower design

Tharon

If I have a cooling tower of unknown origin, is there a way to calculate, or at least estimate, the cooling capacity (tonnage) of it without turning it on and testing it? Maybe something based on air volume, fill size, GPM, Ambi-ent conditions, and other physical dimensions?

I've looked up the calculations for cooling tons, and it all seems to point to knowing the temp of the water in vs out. But I don't know what the water out temp is, and would like to know what to expect.

I am admittedly very ignorant when it comes to cooling towers. It's all new to me.

If you knew the evaporation rate (meaning you'll have to turn on the tower) and your wet bulb temperature (available from a local weather station or measured with a psychrometer) then I can tell you what average tonnage your tower is operating at. To know capacity you'll need a model number and check with the manufacturer. Tower max performance tonnage depends upon the maximum annual wet bulb temperature for your area. We had a recent thread a few weeks ago where tonnage and wet bulb temperatures were discussed. Search for it.

I am trying to find the manufacturer. But right now I haven't been able to determine who built them. Still working on that one.

In the mean time, I have read through http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cooling-tower-efficiency-d_699.html and through http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cooling-loads-d_665.html

So far it looks like all the numbers I'd be using would be telling me a required BTU/h. I'm curious how the physical properties of the tower relate to BTU/h of the tower. Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't possible?

how much air is the fan transporting?
or what size is the fan?
then go to any supplier and find a similar one.
if needed just send the details you know, like sizes, factory, pumpsize, how big is the pack, or how much pipe is used.

Do you have a photograph of the cooling tower that you can post?

How many fans and what is the HP of the fan motors? That won't tell us the exact size but it can help us nail down a capacity range.

I was able to get a picture, and it had a manufacturer on it, but no part or model numbers. I've contacted them, and am hopeful.

The units are a bit smaller than I expected them to be. I've never actually seen them myself, as they are a few States away from me. Slowly gathering information on them as I talk to people who are able to view them. They are only 5.5 feet tall and 4 feet on each side.

They are forced air instead of induced draft, but I haven't been able to find blower size or motor size yet. I know I'm not providing much in terms of information. Sorry.