1747-uic nightmare

geoplc

I know I have seen the posts here about the trials and tribulations of the fine piece of shoebox but my problem is a little different and wondering if anyone has seen this. We bought new Dell laptop running W7 32bit, IS dept had problems with the driver for the 1784-u2dhp and the 7147-uic, so they uninstalled rslogix and linx. AFter re-installing them I got the U2DHP unit to work but not the UIC. Problem I have is I need to get it working which I am pretty sure I can now that have the correct drivers as derived from previous posts. Problem is the laptop doesnt even acknowledge that a hardware device has been plugged in. The unit does get detected on different laptop so I trust it is good.

The only indication I get when I plug in the 1747-uic is as follows:
1. Under Universal serial bus controllers "FT245R USB FIFO" appears
2. While viewing the device manager screen when i plug in the unit the screen updates as you would expect but no new devices pop up under com ports with exception of item 1. above

Any ideas would be appreciated

NOTE: I was told at time of first time UIC was plugged in the new hardware was discovered but after all the hoopla it is where it is now.

my experience with laptops and computers at my previous caompany was this - DON'T ever let IT get their hands on it.
they added a lot of junk on it and made it impossible to run programming software. maintenance bought their laptops and didn't give it to the IT group and they were ****ed. laptop worked like a champ. being in engineering, mine was let's say a piece of junk. got a second laptop without all that junk loaded, boy what a difference.

i'm in IT now and boy do we do things differently here. i have built several pc's and installed new drives in laptops. installed the software per specs.

the only trouble we have ever had is with the virus software and firewall settings. we rum the software on a VM and connect to a generic serial port cable, works great.

in regards to your problem, i have had this happen once, but cannot remember how to fix it.

you might check the firewall settings and virus software compatibility.

regards,
james

It may be a driver issue. I think if you plug in the UIC windows installs a generic USB to Serial driver for it. I've always had to install the proper DH485 converter driver for it when I put them on my laptop.

I don't have my UIC with me right now, so I can't test it out, but when you go into your Device Manager it should be listed as a DH485, not just a generic USB to Serial. Or it won't work right. I'm pretty sure mine pops up with DH485 in it's name in the list...

1747 uic

If I remember correctly I had to manually install the driver downloaded from AB's site. It would not install automatically. It has been a few years but you have to install a couple files. This method was done with windows XP Pro. not sure with win 7.

Getting back to the root issue though there is no device for me to install the driver for. I even went to maually install hardware, no new hardware is detected. Another item of note is that the green power LED on the UIC never comes on however it does if I plug it into my old XP laptop. By the way thank everyone for the input.

Hi geoplc, I'm running a UIC from a Windows 2008 Server (32 bit) so I can think of a few things that might help.. First check that the USB port that you are plugging into is working, enabled in BIOS. Also try shutting Windows Firewall OFF. I don't remember having to download a specific driver for W2008Server. If I look in Device Manager now, it shows the UIC under "Ports (COM & LPT) as device "USB DH-485 Serial Port (COM5)" with driver "FTDI" with a driver date "2/25/2003". I think the OS came with this, or it got loaded with RSLINX. I'm running RSLinx Classic 2.59.02, and set the RSLinx driver up using the "DH485 UIC device" driver, then set it to COM5... that works for me. But I think your problem is more basic than that, try checking the USB port and the firewall... Hope this helps! Allen

...also might be possible that IT installed an Anti-Virus software that is blocking the UIC. Some have an option like "Disable unrecognized devices" that can disable an unknown device.

Thanks FLAengineer, I will look into disabling both the firewall and antivirus ( as the cold chill goes down every IT persons neck) Let you know if it gets me going again, right now putting out fires with a squirtgun.

Love the UIC. "Oh, you unplugged from a processor? You're going to have to delete my driver and set it up again in Linx if you ever want me to see it again."

OK,I now have the UIC recognized and asked for driver install location. I pointed to the 1747-UIC folder from AB site. In RSLinx the driver starts and appears to be running but I thought I had read that when the driver is first installed it was a 2 step process. Mine only went thru 1 step. What is the name of the driver that I should see for this device in hardware device manager? Mine lists ftser2k.sys.

I am getting in a little late but...

The name on the driver does not matter, I have the same PC and it renames the device about every other time

Windows 7 is EASY... don't try and load anything, when you are installing the driver let Windows search for the best compatible driver, make sure you have internet access and choose that in the update or loading option

I have loaded 100's of these and its the best way, you may also want to check you permissions on your laptop, you will need to have admin rights

You can also call me if you need help, but I think you are just over thinking it

Best regards
Mark

If I remember correctly I had to manually install the driver downloaded from AB's site. It would not install automatically. It has been a few years but you have to install a couple files. This method was done with windows XP Pro. not sure with win 7.

I just had similar problems with setting up a 1203-USB on Win 7. I ended up downloading their drivers directly from the AB site and that fixed me up.