upgrade from a slc5/03 to a slc 5/05

RY_Guthrie

we are upgrading our plc from a slc5/03 to a slc 5/05 and when we try to verify the project we get the error that says "error msg instruction is not valid on currently selected processor" this message instruction is between processors. both processors will be slc5/05 but we are wanting to test the program before we have to put it in service.

this is just a guess based on what little information you've posted so far ...

maybe you're trying to use an MG-type file for the "Control Block" in the SLC-5/03's Message ... if so, try using an N-type (Integer) "Control Block" instead ...

basic idea: some older style processors aren't capable of using MG-type data files ...

if this doesn't help, consider posting your program ... we need more information to help you nail it down ...

good luck with your project ...

what we have is it is giving us an error because when we change the processor from a slc5/03 to a slc 5/05 it changes the control block length and I dont see a way to keep it at the length I need.

what we have is it is giving us an error because when we change the processor from a slc5/03 to a slc 5/05 it changes the control block length and I dont see a way to keep it at the length I need.

I suspect that the control block length that you need for a 5/05 is the length that it is being changed to -- else it wouldn't have changed it. If your messaging was being done on DH485 on Channel 1 of the old PLC, then it will be done on Ethernet on Channel 1 of your new PLC.

RY_Guthrie,

we just upgraded a 5/04 to a 5/05.

the error message you are getting is due to the upgrade process.

open up the 5/03 program and write down the parameters.
copy them into the 5/05 program.
you may even have to create a new message with the same information.

it worked for us.

regardas,
james

An SLC-500 MSG that uses DF1, DH+, or DH485 protocol takes only 14 words of control file space, either with a portion of an Integer file or an MG file element.

An SLC-5/05 MSG that uses Ethernet requires 51 words of control file space.

If there are messages in the SLC-5/03 program that use Channel 1 (the DH485 network port), they'll be converted to use Channel 1 on the SLC-5/05 as well. RSLogix can't automatically convert the control data blocks, so it presents this error to force you to go re-configure the messages to use properly sized data blocks.

One workaround would be to change the SLC-5/03 MSG instructions to use Channel 0, then convert the program.

Another workaround would be to delete and re-enter all the MSG instructions.