Modicon M258 Logic Controller

pyea0001

I need to design the system using Schneider PLC but pretty new to it.

The system that I need to design is pretty small system and I am thinking of using Modicon M258 Logic Controller. The main PLC with the extension card will be in central control room but there is a case that I need to have at least one remote I/O (no CPU) in the field.

How can I communicate the Main PLC with Remote I/O?
Is Schneider ethernet module can use for RIO communication?

Thanks you

I don't think these are designed for controlling remote IO over Ethernet. I think you can do message blocks and read IO (ModbusTCP if I recall correctly) but there is no easy method such as IOscanner or using EtherNet/IP class 1 communications.

For this platform, I would look at CANOpen IO - Schneider as well as many others make IO for CANOpen and I think that would work fine. The STB series from Advantys has a CANOpen head module.

If you need/want to use Ethernet IO, then maybe switch to the M340 platform, which has more options?

I have played with these a couple of times and note that the software sure looks like Codesys. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not the same as what the other controller platforms use (UnityPro).