DB9 Bulkhead...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm looking to mount two DB9 male connectors on the bottom of an enclosure. 14 gauge, so it's a bit thick for a Greenlee punch. I don't need a cover on the connectors, so a Graceport is overkill. What I'm looking for is something similar to this:

http://store.haveinc.com/p-53319-avp-db9-female-crimp-socket-contacts-connector-kit.aspx

I'll probably end up buying these, or making my own bulkhead panel using port savers, but just wanted to know if there were other options. It would be nice if there was something that mounted in a round hole, like those RJ45 bulkhead connectors from Molex and others.

šŸ»

-Eric

Thanks, rpoet... :site:

L-com is usually my first stop (along with Winford) for stuff like this. I thought I had combed the L-com site, yet I didn't notice these... šŸ™ƒ

I have to built 5 identical panels, so I think these will be easier (for me) to install than the Switchcraft ones (and cheaper). I built a panel last year with a few XLR connectors (LINK), and I remember them being difficult (odd hole size or something).

Oh, and no need for a square hole... Two accurately positioned holes with a 1" knockout punch should suffice... ;)

šŸ»

-Eric

Eric, XLR connectors are a PITA to mount. You're right - the holes are a non-standard size. I use XLR connectors all the time for the automation gear I build for theater; I use Neutrik's DL-series connectors.

http://www.neutrik.us/en-us/xlr/dl-series/

I have mounting plates laser cut from 14ga steel with the connector holes I need, and then I mount that plate in a square/rectangular hole in the cabinet. Let me know if you'd like a CAD drawing for my Neutrik connector mounting plates. I'd be happy to email it to you.

Another huge bonus for me is that Neutrik makes an entire series of connectors that all fit the same knockouts. They have XLR connectors with 3-7 pins, a mains-voltage series of connectors called PowerCON, Ethernet passthroughs, and even Firewire and USB.

They also have an 8-pin connector called an NL-8 SpeakON that makes a GREAT rugged multipin connector. It's a bigger knockout than the DL series, but easy to have the holes laser cut.

I'll bet that the DB-9 Switchcraft connectors someone posted earlier in this thread fit the same holes. Switchcraft tends to copy Neutrik.

-rpoet