SLC500 memory module

basicbill

I've come across a SLC500 with 115V input module, triac output module and analog input/output module.

When I power it up it gives the flashing cpu fault light.

Opening it up, I discovered that there isn't a memory module installed!

So my questions....

Is the module an off the shelf type eprom? Or is it proprietary or AB exclusive format?

If I have to purchase a mem module, what is the approximate cost and are they available.

Finally, does this seem like a worthwhile project to undertake or is the SLC500 getting a little long in the tooth?

Thanks.

First, what's the model and verison #?

SLC does not need a memory module to work, a CPU fault light usually means the PLC is DOA (per my recollection) You can find the manual online once you get the model # and look up the fault light.

Hi..I actually found out about the memory module replacement via the manual. The Power on light along with the flashing cpu light indicated a problem with the mem module. And the user is directed to replace it!

Now, if the SLC500 (L514 SerB) doesn't need a module...then indeed, it may be hooped.

See PDF's for troubleshooting guide.And how to reset (clear memory).

Have you tried to get connected? Do you have the hardware to connect to a DH485 SLC ( 1747-PIC or 1747-UIC)

Ok, it's a 5/01. The manual is here:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um011_-en-p.pdf

You probably got the wrong manual. It's a CPU major fault and you can attempt to clear it by going online but you will need a PIC box. Unless you have a PIC box (which doesn't play with USB - serial converter) and a PC with real serial port i won't bother with it.

The 1747-UIC will work. See link if you need one.

http://www.ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm

Thanks both!
Your referenced info is very valuable and gives me a terrific place to start.

I've cleared the memory as per instructions, but the cpu light is still flashing so I'll have to get it connected and dig a little deeper.

Fyi, this is an old 'show and tell' plc that hasn't been in service for 15 years! I was just trying to see if it would light up and determine if it has any value.

But I'm a stubborn sort so I'll spend the time I need to figure it out.

Again, many thanks. I'll let you know what I find out.

Hey...I found a DTAM and hooked it up.

What I have discovered is that the error is a 'corrupt nvram'.

Is that a major hardware failure .... or can it be corrected? Any thoughts on what my options are here?