Super annoying behavior of RS Studio5000 (Logix5000 V21)

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Using RSLogix5000 version 21.

When using the mnemonic editor to enter a rung I frequently get an unknown instruction when it should be recognizing a tag. The tags are already defined. It always happens with an XIC or XIO instruction right before it. When I try to go back and make sure the mnemonic line is correct I find extra question marks. If I correct the rung and press enter, I still get the same thing. I can't open the menmonic line and copy the address and paste it to the instruction on the rung without the rung reverting to the same condition.

When I delete the rung and click/drag to create it everything is fine, but click/drag programming is intolerable - it wastes too much time.

I can copy the rung, go to another project, and paste it in and it goes in just fine. Go figure.

This is getting annoying because its really beginning to consume a lot of time. This is a PLC/2 program being converted to CompactLogix from a print out so using the mnemonic editor is highly desired to save time.

This happens about every other rung. The KB was no help, I found one technote about Compacting the DB, which I've done several times and had no results.

V21 also might have an attention deficit disorder of some sort - periodically it will just decide to take ten to thirty seconds to execute a click. I really hope that Studio5000 is not another Proworx like debacle in the making. Its not my computer, I can switch to another task and everything responds just fine.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

(next post will attach file)

TC04161301.jpg

Could it be a issue with something else on the machine? Can you test it in a clean VM? Just Curious.

I tried to replicate it but it's working for as far as I tested.

OK, here is the file.

Last rung, MainProgram.

Wow, V21 files must be really inefficient or something. I had to strip over a hundred rungs out, all my unused tags, and my IO config to get the file to zip down to a size that the forum would let me upload.

One more detail - don't know if it matters or not. All of the tags were created in Excel from the PLC/2 addresses, prefixed with a B, W, Tmr, or Ctr, and imported.