PowerFlex 525

mvaughan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hope someone here can help with software additions. I downloaded the AOP for PowerFlex 525 and I am assuming that it was suppose to auto-install. That did not happen :confused: and I am not sure how to manually add it to the database. I did try to download it several times with different security levels to no avail. Any ideas?

Regards,
Matt

Read these instructions from the AB site Help:
Allen-Bradley Web Updates Help Area

This site contains Flash Update Files, Product Help Files, Control Bar Files, and DriveTools SP / Drive AOP Database Files to keep your Allen-Bradley brand drive products up to date.
caution.jpg
The first time you visit one of the pages linked below, an ActiveX Control may download and install onto your PC. If you choose to cancel this download, many of the links on the web update pages will not function. You must use Internet Explorer to view these pages.

Quick Facts:
1. You NEED to use Internet Explorer to properly use this area of the support site.
2. You NEED to allow the Active X control to install on your computer to properly use this site.
3. This control will access your registry to check for installed programs ONLY.
4. We do not collect or record any information from you using this site or any other.
Once you select a product from our Web Updates site, you will be asked to download an Active X control. Internet Explorer will pop up with this window:
activexdownload.jpg

You MUST select yes. This will install a small (~75k) Active X control onto your computer. We use this control to allow the web server to check for installed programs, and to install updates to the software. It is also used to give programs the ability to work with more drives than when the software was installed. We do NOT collect and/or store any information on our servers or anywhere else. We do NOT track who is using this service. This control will allow for automatic installation of drive files, and nothing will be installed without your knowledge. This control is intended to read the registry to discover installed programs.
When the Active X control has not been installed, the different sections of the website show up with the following at the bottom of the site:
notconfigured.jpg

When the Active X control has been properly installed, the bottom of the webpages will look like:
configured.jpg

Any other questions, let us know!

@Lancie1
That was the process I used, but the computer never started the Active X session. I tried as administrator and without a pop-up blocker turned on. Downloaded the file without issue as far as I know but lacked the Active X. Sorry for the shortage of information!

Thanks for the response!!

Matt

That was the process I used, but the computer never started the Active X session.
Possibly the small 75 kilobyte Active X control did not make it onto your computer hard drive. It could be due to a anti-virus program blocking Active X controls. You might have to put this one on an override list in your anti-virus Exceptions list. If it did make it (search your drive for a file named "Drives Web Update Active X Control"), then you may have to make sure it is not being blocked by your computer security, then delete the file and download it again in order for it to be activated.

Last edited:
MVaughn,

On my computer Internet browser (Internet Explorer), under "Advanced Settings, Security", I have this unchecked to not allow Active X files to take control: "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer".

The Allen Bradley Active X would not run on my computer, unless I added it as an Exception. The question should be asked: is it worth turning over control in order to get this data? The problem with Active X files is that once set up with certain control capabilities, someone can slip in another file with the same name that does some real damage.
3. This control will access your registry to check for installed programs ONLY.
Right, thanks a lot, Rockwell. Now that your Active X control finds what Rockwell stuff you have installed, what will it do with that information? Just sit on it? I doubt that! Most likely it will be USED for something to help Rockwell, not to help you! The problem will come if someone finds that your computer allows this file name to take control of your registry, but then substitutes a different file that does something else much more harmful.

Last edited: