Compact Logix upgrade

I am a tech in an industrial setting and I was recently given a challange to improve a machine that currently is controlled by relay logic. The tasks the machine will be required preform are an adjustable run time (40 to 120 minutes) and eventual network connection. At this time my only task is to contorl whats there, however eventually I would like to upgrade the operating components and change from 120VAC to 24VDC for safety. Also the demand for a touch screen opearting panel is in the plans for the future of the machine. That all being said My choice for PLC system is the compact logix due to the likely possiblity of re configuration in the near future. I'm thinking the 1769-L32E will be a good selection for my cpu. Input from more knowledgable people would be outstanding as I am very new to designing this type of system.

Thanks

Welcome to the site
Firstly make sure you have the drawings - or draw them yourself.
Create an I/O list - what sort of knowledge do you have.
I get that you are going to use AB - do you need to use a high end processor - how complex is this machine.
Most applications can be done with the 'Shoebox' style. 1100 or 1400.
- 24Vdc gives you the oportunity to replace the control panel or it's gear tray in one hit. with minimal shutdown time.
I am not certain but over here any change to the control system requires a safety upgrade also

I have come up with an I/O list. I will need 31 discreet inputs (these include new safety fetures, as well as needed interlocks) and have 15 outputs that will run solinoids or motor contactors and 10 outputs that will run pilot lights. I have also drawn a rough draft on paper of the ladder logic. Most of my plc experiance is with AB's 500 series. I am looking to improve to the newest technologies. I have no expierance in selectiing hardware.

Cool
both the 1100 and 1400 series have E/net available and are expandable.
I would avoid component HMI's unless you have a lot of time up your sleeve, stick to PV Plus HMI's.
As far as Safety devices search this forum - there are plenty of posts.
From My point of view - Keep the safety systems out of the PLC.
Only insert a 'confirmation' bit (inputs) E/stop OK or Guards OK
Most PLC's are not designed for safety, there are some, and you pay for them.

I might add that if you dont already have the software for the HMI's.
OR
if you dont already have a standard HMI prefference.
Look at REDLION HMI's They are universal and the software is free.