Help needed on the 16f84

gibbon

I am a student currently studying electronic engineering. For my project i have to programe the 16f84. i think i have made a mistake when designing my pcb. i have read on a site that only pin b0 can be used to preform an interupt but the way i have designed my pcb i would need to use pin A2. have i gone totaly wrong here or can i still use this to do an interupt.

Any help possible on this subject would be very helpfull.

Thank you

Craig.

On the Microchip PIC 16F84 (obsolete now, replaced by the 16F84A chip), RB0 is indeed the only dedicated hardware external interrupt input.

You could however program a fast CPU Soft interrupt, using the TMR0 Overflow Interrupt, and within the ISR for it, scan the RA2 input you are using I guess, to see if it's changed states.

If you are trying to use the external interrupt as a 'wake-up', or high speed timer / counter, then no. Not really possible with RA2. Only RB0.

You can also program a 'CHANGE OF STATE' interrupt for I/O Pins RB4-RB7, but again, that has nothing to do with RA2.

Good luck.

PS... One other option, if you have the PCBoard already made, is to use an XActo Knife to cut some traces, and some small wire to make new ones. Not like 85% of commercial boards out there dont have similar modifications/fixes.