RSLogix500 Indirect addressing question

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all, I would like to know if it is possible to use a counter' accumulator value as an indirect address. So it would look something like this: N7:[C5:0.acc]. I tried it and the software wont accept it but I could have sworn I seen it used like that. It might have been RSLogix5 but I don't believe that indirect addressing is different from RSL500 to RSL5, correct? Thank you.

let's hope that ceilingwalker responds with what he did wrong.

MOV N7:0 N7:[C5:0.ACC] is perfectly valid syntax for the SLC500 series and all the MicroLogix processors. The only thing to be wary of is that the lesser MicroLogix boxes can't have additional data-tables.

I am ashamed to admit it. I was using the wrong type of instruction and the software didn't like it. One of those "couldn't see the forest for the tree's" sort of a thing.

I'm thinking that everyone wanted you to post your solution so that others could be helped in the future.

Some how I doubt anyone would try to do something as dumb as I did. I was trying to use an instruction at the bit level but this obviously requires an instruction at the word level. Looking back on it I have no idea what I was thinking. I used a XIC instruction trying to use an indirect address and it made no sense at all. This is why I didn't post my solution, because it was a dumb question to begin with.

Some how I doubt anyone would try to do something as dumb as I did. I was trying to use an instruction at the bit level but this obviously requires an instruction at the word level. Looking back on it I have no idea what I was thinking. I used a XIC instruction trying to use an indirect address and it made no sense at all. This is why I didn't post my solution, because it was a dumb question to begin with.

We all have moments, minutes, hours, even days like that. I was once picking up the pieces of someone else's coding, and couldn't work out why a section of code wasn't responding as it should have.

I checked the usual suspects, is the subroutine file being scanned - check, searched for MCR instructions - check, searched for JMP instructions - check, searched for an early RET instruction - check. I'll be honest and state that it was a good 2 hours before I found the TND instruction 35 rungs above where I was debugging !

I should have known better with my experience, but on that occasion, the TND wasn't on my list of things to look for. In actual fact, it turned out to be a life-saver that it was there, because the code I had inherited to debug would have made a mess of the process it was controlling - and that would have been costly.

We learn a lot more from our "mistakes" than any training or tutoring can give you. The school of life is a great learning establishment :)