OT - VMWare

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
I know some of you use VMware

I have been trying it out but have a question regarding networking

If I select network bridged do I select the tcp/ip settings as automatic and set them on the main (host?)
And if so I assume I can disable the remaining VMware Ethernet ports on the host and just keep the standard wired port

vmware1.png vmware2.png

For bridged networking you typically assign an IP address just like you do on your host. If you have a DHCP server, use automatic. If you give your host an IP manually then do the same for the VM (different IP address though). With Bridged Networking your VM is just like another real computer on the network.

But.....one of the nice things about using a VM is that you can do whatever you want! If you want to give it a manually assigned address, you can. Want them to all use DHCP, you can do that.

There is just one answer to this.

OG

Thanks

So to clarify for me.... I would net 2 IP addresses on the same subnet... 1 for host and 1 for vm

I usually do like this:
If the Host uses DHCP, then the VM guest also uses DHCP.
If the Host uses a fixed IP, then the VM guest also uses a fixed IP. The IPs should be in the same subnet.