fire system

shkoko2000

we have fire system in our plant (IR,UV and HC detectors) connected to plc directly without any control panel through allen bradly card,are this method is right or what is the modification that will be applied to correct this method and plz illustrate your method with standard

No, this is not a correct installation.
in the states we must use a fire control panel by itself and then interface it to the plc if required.

you are asking a very vague question.
we had an engineering firm design our system.
you must consider the following
1. what are you trying to detect?
2. speed required to activate the system once a fire , sparks are detected.
3. what flow rate is required to put out the fire.
4. how far apart are the zones, buildings, controller from the detectors.
5. redundancy, battery backup power.

regards,
james

In the US, absolutely wrong, there should be ground fault, first and foremost, plus a redundant, might I say, resistor at the end of the line, which will detect variance in the wire. There should also be a known fire detection alarm system, and PLC output, readily available, to detect the fire. These have relay contacts that could sound even louder alarms than that available on the fire detection system. Annunciation is the key, where is the fire!!!
icon15.gif
icon4.gif

1-i want to know the standard that say we must have stand alone control panel and not connected detectors directly to plc.
2- i want also ask if we must have a redundant system for control panel or not.and if i applied that i will bring another control panel.

1-i want to know the standard that say we must have stand alone control panel and not connected detectors directly to plc.
2- i want also ask if we must have a redundant system for control panel or not.and if i applied that i will bring another control panel.

You would need to check with your LOCAL REGULATORS for fire-safety standards. Any advice I can give is only based on operating in a particular county of a particular state in the US.

ok i want to know your opinion if you have the same scenario in your country what you can do and what the fire safty standard say in this case...

Hello,

In the USA;

There are local laws but NFPA is the most followed standard.

There is also a thing called 'self-insured' so a PLC can be the 'fire panel'.

There is also a thing called 'site approved' so a PLC can be the 'fire panel' and if all the field elements are approved then the site might be able to be approved.

Commercial, industrial and residential all have different codes, requirements, approvals, coverage, etc.

I know a company that uses Allen Bradley and MOST PLCs along with approved field devices to market, sell and install approved fire detection systems in the industrial arena.

I found topic about hazard watch panel by general monitors worked by allenbradly plc if there is anyone know about this told me plz

ok i want to know your opinion if you have the same scenario in your country what you can do and what the fire safty standard say in this case...

Since we have Factory Mutual Insurance, we are required by them to have a dedicated fire system, which is also approved by them. They also require certified inspections often of all components of the system from the isolation valves to the flow switches to the fire pump.

Our fire system can message back and forth to other devices, but only through dedicated ports which have no effect on the system otherwise. It would be a violation to connect anything to any part of the fire system except through the dedicated ports. Switches and controls cannot be paralleled to any other device.

Once again, CHECK YOUR LOCAL RULES.

Hello,

FM does provide testing and certification. There are other companies that also provide testing/certification services for fire systems. They, for the most part, all test against NFPA. Some require UL, in Canada CSA is required. There is a host of standards to test against. TUV is another I recall.