Important CoDeSys discovery!

(8{)} ( .)

Lifetime Supporting Member
Well I may just be old but my son turned me on to this one.

One of the boogers (or so I thought) about CoDeSys PLCs (Wago, Beckhoff, ABB, etc, etc.) is the inability to upload code. I knew that you could download the source code to the controller manually until my son showed me that you can have CoDeSys download the source code automatically and therefore connect to a controller without having the source on your computer.

This is accomplished by selecting:

Project -> Options -> Source download -> Implicit at load

Once you download your project you can open it from the File -> Open -> PLC

Sorry if this isn't news to the CoDeSys users here but it was news (and important news) to me.

Cheers,

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)

Is this with classic CoDeSys 2.3 or with CoDeSys 3.0 ?

I wonder if the availability of this feature differs with the availability of onboard storage (like an SD card) in the controller.

Is this with classic CoDeSys 2.3 or with CoDeSys 3.0 ?

I wonder if the availability of this feature differs with the availability of onboard storage (like an SD card) in the controller.

Hi Ken,

This is with CoDeSys 2.3. I don't have any information regarding CoDeSys 3.0 but it wouldn't surprise me if it had this feature. The WAGO controllers typically use the SD for storage automatically when one is available. I will ask my friends at WAGO about this.

Regards,

Yosi

but it is costing lots of memory, and yes its old news, when the PLC has to be exchanged, the file will not work either, so better to save it on a stick and tape it to your plc.

but it is costing lots of memory, and yes its old news, when the PLC has to be exchanged, the file will not work either, so better to save it on a stick and tape it to your plc.

But isn't that true with any PLC that has to be replaced?