Upgrade WINCC

Greet

Situation now: we have 2 WINCC-stations version V5.1
They are connected with 3 plc's through ethernet.

Now we are starting a big new project with several suppliers of some new machines.
One of these supliers wants to use WINCC Flexible with a screen.

We would like to upgrade our WINCC-stations to a newer version(would be nice :) ).

Now we would use this WINCC-flexible from the other supplier to expand this with our data.

My question: is this possible? I thought that WINCC-flexible is only for a panel, and not for a pc(server-station)?
The supplier told us that for WINCC-flex you don't need licenses, how is this possible?

There are later versions of WinCC but from version 5 you would have to recreate the entire thing, as there is no upgrade functionality from 5 upward. I have changed out all my WinCC applications to VTS software. Second to none and the price is right!! Just my 2 cents (and over 20 years of dealing with many brands of PC based HMI software). Check out www.trihedral.com

We know that we have to recreate the whole thing, but that is no problem, we can do this step by step.

We want to know if it's possible with WINCC flexible to work on a server-station, and what about the licenses?

It is possible to migrate the WinCC project from version 5 to the later version of WinCC 7.0 SP3 without having to recreate the whole thing. This with the help of Project Migrator.

With regard to the question if it is possible to use WinCC Flex for a server-staion. If the requirement is just to use it for a specific area, somehow it is. But for a plant-wide operation, WinCC is still the requirement since WinCC flex is not as powerful as WinCC.

WinCC Flex (unit/hardware) itself don't require any license. But the development software does requires a license for you to create a program/design.

Thank you Christine1914. It becomes a little bit clear :)

So the supplier says that we don't need a license because he delivers the panel, but we will not be able to change a screen, or add a tag, or ...

Can I find somewhere the difference between Wincc flex and Wincc, because you say: "WinCC flex is not as powerful as WinCC"...

thanks.

hi.

you can find further documentations at support.automation.siemens.com just search for it.

if need to add/change something using wincc flex, you still need to have the development software.this means you also need a license for the wincc flexible engineering software.

my kind suggestion is that continue migrating the existing to the latest one, use the wincc upgrade softwares and licenses if ever you still have the program back up. less engineering man hours and lesser project cost for you and the company. but since there is no direct upgrade of version 5 to 7. you need version 5 to version 6.2, and version 6.2 to version 7 sp 3 upgrade licenses.

When I had a number of WinCC applications to convert from v5 to v7, Siemens told me there was no migration capabilities because the database changed from Watcom to SQLserver, and that I would have to build them over from scratch. I guess I was misinformed? :eek: In any case, it worked out better using the VTS software.

honestly i don't know. but with my recent project, it worked that way. tags, alarms, pictures were all the same. and it is even working the way it worked with their old server before.

although i would still recommend to have a back up of every version for "safety" purpose.