PID and Motion contro

angi

Hi Guys

a question about motion control, Kinetix 6500. could I use PID to control for example, speed or position of 6500? I did not see anybody doing this.

thanks

Hi Guys

a question about motion control, Kinetix 6500. could I use PID to control for example, speed or position of 6500? I did not see anybody doing this.

thanks

The simple answer is YES, you can certainly use the output of a PID control instruction as the setpoint for speed, or position, of your Kinetix drive.

But simple answers are not always the best answers. The best answers you will get when you fully describe what you are attempting to do, and what peripheral equipment you have to work with.

Thanks Daba
there is a skimmer on top of conveyor used to control the depth of material on the conveyor, 6500 will be used to move skimmer up or down, we need to try our best to keep the weight as a constant value, is it possible to use weight as PV of PID and output of PID as position of motion controlof 6500?

thanks

Thanks Daba
there is a skimmer on top of conveyor used to control the depth of material on the conveyor, 6500 will be used to move skimmer up or down, we need to try our best to keep the weight as a constant value, is it possible to use weight as PV of PID and output of PID as position of motion controlof 6500?

thanks

I see absolutely no reason why this will not work as you described...

Daba

if I use PLC code to control the position, for example, when weight less than setup value 5%, MAM the 6500 to a position, when it is 1% greater than constant value then MAM 6500 to another position, compare to PID, which one is better?

thanks

With PLC code you will always be "hunting" around the set-point, because you won't be giving any control action until you get an error (of 5% in your case). Think of that as trying to control the level in your bath-tub, while it is filling, by repeatedly pulling out the plug and putting it back again.

A PID will act to control the position precisely to give zero error, and with careful tuning, should maintain that zero error continuously. Think of the PID as controlling the size of an orifice in the bath-plug, to balance the filling flow to the drain flow, which will maintain a constant level.