Wago Frequency Module

I am having problems changing the wago 404 003 Frequency Counter Module to a 16 bit integration period.

At this point I am not sure if it is a wiring problem or a programming problem but it is currently wired to an opticoupler then to the sensor. on the opticoupler the input is from + and - and the output from the opticoupler ( return ) is +, -, and the clock.

the frequency counter is hooked to a 750-881 field bus and I am interfacing through the network. In the manual it says to change control bytes to get the plc to recognize and only read the 16 integration period but nothing that I have tried allows this to happen.

I was wondering if anyone had some words of wisdom. The frequency counter is hooked to an optical sensor.

do you see the clock led blinking (this is where your pulse input should be.
just try it by hand as low freq is every ten seconds.
the voltage should be 24 volts and not 5 volts
there is a optocoupler on the card so dont mind external one it is the voltage that is important.
negative voltages should be avoided.

the gate should be off in normal operation

write a small program to get the words in your memory.
like in0:=%IW0, in1:=%IW1

freq:= in0+in1*65536

the wiring seems to be ok, the Clock light is blinking, the program shows the correct values at the addresses discussed in the manual for the 003 module. Everything starts as FALSE which is to be expected but there is no way to change any of the values. I have tried to set the outputs (going back to the plc) to true via variables and via force write variable values but nothing seems to register on the plc inputs (values coming from the plc).

the manual highlights that I need to change 2 bytes in the control byte at QX0.0 and QX0.1 (the acknowledgement range) and then use the Acknowledge byte to tell the plc to actually look at the data stream differently. The problem seems to be that the QX0.0, QX0.1, and the Acknowledge byte QX0.4 will not return a TRUE to the PLC. This means that, I assume, the PLC is never getting the signal to initiate 16 period integration.

out %QX0.0 is not a control byte, but any real output.
control is a register not an output.
same as for input.
this is tricky to get to the correct one as it is depending of the position of the module and the number of analog words are used.
you have to calculate the registernumber out of the manual.

sorry for the delay, have been busy and trying to look into your advice.

In order to access registers with codesys and the frequency module you must use Modbus TCP? or is it possible within the IEC 61131 environment?

Also, is modbus part of codesys 2.3 or is it a separate IDE?

thanks for your time!

what bussystem do you use or give the coupler code like 750-881.
modbus is a library you should have from supplier(WAGO)
another way is to use www.oscat.de library.
You can use registers direct with a pointer or a marker.