HART Interface

newtoyou

N
Does anyone know where i can find info. on using a Hart communicator
from initial hookup to calibration. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Be gentle cause this baby needs to take baby steps...........

I don't know allot about hart comms. But Prosoft makes Hart communication cards for the AB SLC, PLC and Control Logic platforms.
Here are the links to these web pages. Hope it helps
Michael
PLC SLC Control Logix

Check out Rosemont (I think)... they make HART programming terminals.

If memory serves me correctly, HART devices generally have a 4-20mA current loop output, across which you can clip what is essentially an old Bell standard 1200 baud modem for configuration and monitoring.

newtoyou,

The hook-up for a HART Communicator is easy: Basically it has two wires that you attach IN PARALLEL with your 2 signal wires that connect to the instrument, transmitter, or other HART-capable device. The Communicator sends out signals that ride on top of the normal signal.

As for calibration, it is device-dependent, with each device having its own individual calibration screens. That means that the device you want to calibrate has to have its characteristics downloaded to the HART Communicator's EPROM memory, or it will not be able to "talk" to that device. This is not something the user is normally allowed to do, but is done by the HART communicator sales representative.

General practice to talk to a 24VDC hart instrument is to put a 250 ohm resistor in series with the 24VDC supply, then hook your HART communicator up in parallel. If the instrument is 110VAC supplied then you need to place a resitor across ( parallel ) the COMMUNICATION terminal wires ( make sure not the power supply terminals ). I have a HART plug for this so I will have to test it for its value.

We use HART only on Emerson/Rosemount instrumentation and the manuals always contain HART flow charts step by step on how to install parameters, calibrate etc but it is a fairly easy process. Once connected you will be fine.