Windows Update and RSLogix500 V16

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just had a Windows 7 auto update applied, and now my V16 or RSlogix5000 no longer will launch which worked before the auto update. All other versions of Rslogix 5000 are ok.

Reinstalled V16.4 , but still will not launch.

Anyone else?

What were the updates that were installed? I'd remove them one at a time. I wonder if one of the updates was with .NET 1.1 (as Contr_Conn is suggesting).

I'm going have to try launching it tomorrow.

If Fatal Error file listed as "Unknown" line -1, then this will be DotNet most likely

V16 uses ver 1.1
Windows 7 must have DotNet 1.1 SP1
This will be my guess

Blame Microsoft :)
There are plenty products that revert .net 1.1 to original state( pre sp1) but windows 7 depends on it

Blame Microsoft :)
There are plenty products that revert .net 1.1 to original state( pre sp1) but windows 7 depends on it

This is one of those frustating situations that those suit and ties in Seattle and those suit and ties in where ever Rockwell's suit and ties reside don't realize what we guys in the field have to put up with.

Thank god for this forum, because I would have been pooched waiting to call Rockwell on Monday morning as the $7K in Tech Connect support fees our company pays only allows us the privilege to talk to Rockwell Monday to Friday 8-5.
And most of our Tech Connect calls are regarding activation issues.

Last edited:
Just think it this way:
If you would not pay for your toolkit, some of us in this forum would not have a job Mon-Fri finding these answers to help you on weekends.
Clear enough?

It is very likely the .net framework problem.

I have problem installing the V16 on Windows 7. I read all the post here. I checked that I already have a .NET framewrok 1.1 installed a few month ago. So I decided to uninstalled the .Net Framwork 1.1 that I had. Then reinstalled the RSlogix5000 V16. It turns out that V16 pumpt and ask me to install the .Net framwork 1.1 during the installation. After I proceed, works.