Do-More Programming vs RSLogix

iadapt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys I was asked to install a simple HMI and PLC in a tumbling machine. I only need a couple of editable timers. I can easily create a program using RSLogix but I'm new to Do-More "stage"? programming.

Whats your thoughts about the Do-More Programming system?

It appears to me that I have to learn a whole new programming system (almost) I guess its really just the interface but ....x%$*(&*, my initial thoughts aren't very happy.

However the hardware seems quite useful and flexible, but your thoughts?

Thanks.

Paul

In the Do-More program go to the help then down to 'Stage Programming Concepts'. It's kind of a mini tutorial. If the program can be analyzed in a 'this happens' until 'that happens' then start doing the next thing, then Stage can handle it very well. Come back with questions.

There's also the forum at Host Engineering who created that CPU and the programming package.

As far as timers, think of the RSLogix 500 timers but without a .EN or .TT bit. Everything else is there. For a preset they can take a constant (viewed as time down to milliseconds), or a variable from one of the 'D' registers (32 bit signed) number of milliseconds. Access the variable time from the HMI by pointing to the 'D' variable you choose.

Math - think of RSLogix5000 with only the CPT instruction available (actually there are a couple others). In this it is a MATH instruction.

No 'drag-and-drop' of instructions but otherwise just normal ladder. Check out the 'Program Organization' section of the Start Page.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much stuck in the Allen-Bradley mode – so I'm not quite sure if Do-More "stage programming" is the same thing as Automation Direct "stage programming" ... but if it is, this post has helped a lot of folks get started with the basic ideas ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=41722&postcount=15

as far as learning a "whole new language" – really you only need two new instructions – the STAGE – and the JUMP TO STAGE ...

just for background – another lifetime ago when I taught at a tech school, we always made sure to teach the students Ladder Logic first – then (and ONLY then) would we cover Stage Programming ... the reason being that once they'd seen "stage" they never wanted to go back to "plain vanilla" ladder logic again ...

good luck with your project ...

Last edited:

I'm pretty much stuck in the Allen-Bradley mode – so I'm not quite sure if Do-More "stage programming" is the same thing as Automation Direct "stage programming" ... but if it is, this post has helped a lot of folks get started with the basic ideas ...

as far as learning a "whole new language" – really you only need two new instructions – the STAGE – and the JUMP TO STAGE ...

It is basically the same concept.

You don't have to use stage programming in DoMore. It will work fine with straight ladder logic.

There are several other programming concepts with DoMore that can ease your programming.

Programs and Tasks let you break up your large program into more manageable and understandable chunks. Programs are for things that may run for multiple scans such as a mixer perhaps. Tasks are for things that you want to happen once and then terminate such as math on an array for endo of day reporting.

If you have trouble each DoMore CPU comes with 30 days of video training and we have quite a few Youtube videos online as well. Plus there is free technical support.

Thanks guys, I have begun writing some code using the Do-More software. It seems pretty simple, and maybe can become useful. I will update you all as the project moves forward.

I am curious to learn more about it.