Pulling records from GARECO

RemoteGareco

Hi guys,
Just wondering, if anyone out there could help me in this please.
I am new to this world of PLC etc.
I have been given the task of pulling records from GARECO- The Remote Control of GARVENS checkweighers? and save records to SQL database. I have manual of GARECO remote Control X series, it says "RC instructions can be transmitted by an external PC via the serial interface".
I have no idea what type/model of Checkweigher or Remote Control interface is being used at site.

In ideal world of you expert guys, what would be the ideal solution to this one? is there any on-the-shelf solution like Wonderware? or any one has done this before, pls advice.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very mych dear Rootboy for your immediate reply.
I will check the links you provided me with as soon as possible.

But I need to know firstly what exactly is GARECO so as to understand if I can connect directly my specific checkweigher with a laptop and get the online weight each time as this is the only info I need to get.

If I can get connected by serial (example Hyperterminal), I have all the other accessories that can support the communication bi-directional and then I do not need to buy the extra accessories of the links you provided me.